Matt341 is offline Registered User

Default Cleaning mould off the sail?

HI All,

We took the sails off the boat end of October, unfortunately due to ill health the previous owner didnt manage to get them off the winter before.

The main is fine as it was under the boom cover but the gennoa is very green and also has large sections of black mould around the UV strip. It seems to be between the layers on the UV strip.

I shouldn't have left it till now but due to bereavement im only today having a chance to get the sails out of the loft.

The sailmaker is giving an 8 week+ time to get the sails sent and returned from the cleaning company so this isnt really an option as we are hoping to use the boat half term!!! Apparently they just put them through large washing machines and then dry them in a large heated room.

A friend suggested I take them to the launderette and put them on a gentle wash but before I do this I want to ensure it wont damage the sail anyway.

The other option is to have a go at washing the sail myself but I dont feel that I would be able to get the mould out from under the UV strip.

I will attach a pic to show how bad it is.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ian

I had some black mould on my sail bags which I removed with shower cleaner. I think it is bleach (chlorine) basically. Spray on, leave for 30mins, rinse off (I put my sail bags in the washing machine but depends on how big your sails are. I was very pleased with the results because I'd been told black mould is hard to remove. I was a bit concerned that chlorine would degrade the fabric but it doesn't seem to have caused any damage.

Matt341 is offline Registered User

Thanks for the reply,

I know that I wouldnt get the sail in the washing machine (and SWMBO wouldn't be best pleased if I even attempted to!)

I have used Dettol Mould remover spray on our previous boat. (Its in a green bottle). That seemed very effective, I just dont know if it could damage the sail.

I suppose I could always pre treat the sail with this spray and then an hour or so later take it to the launderette and put it on a gentle wash.

Thanks
    Ian

Default Mould off

Try http://www.novosail.com/ less than 5 per kilo and normall only takes a couple of days

Brought mine up per fik

John

VicS is offline Registered User

I'd not use a chlorine based bleach .

Could try a peroxide based "Oxy action" type bleach.

I reckon your best bet is a professional sail cleaners. Only way to stand any chance of getting them anything like really clean

Novosail as mentioned offer a pretty hi tech service but not so convenient when you are far from Southampton.
    Maybe well worth sending there if they can fit them in in the timescale.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I'd not use a chlorine based bleach .

Could try a peroxide based "Oxy action" type bleach.

I reckon your best bet is a professional sail cleaners. Only way to stand any chance of getting them anything like really clean

Novosail as mentioned offer a pretty hi tech service but not so convenient when you are far from Southampton.
    Maybe well worth sending there if they can fit them in in the timescale.
    I have found that the same product I use for keeping my teak deck clean, works wonders, and gets rid of all the black mildew mould. It takes a few weeks to do it though.

Just rinse the sails in a 4 t0 1 mixture of Brintons MMC (Moss and Mould Cleaner) and leave to dry. This will remove all the green as a dry brown powder as it dries, and the Mildew will eventually go. Don't bother to rinse, let the weather do it over a period of time.

We use Dettol, it kills the mildew and thus stops it spreading - a number of sailmakers also recommend it. However it won't get rid of the black marks, soapy water and a soft brush does reduce the marks. Then apply some more Dettol to protect the sail. I would never bleach a sail or put it in a washing machine.

We also use Dettol on any mildew inside the boat.

V1701 is offline Registered User

Good thread http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...t=mould+killer for cleaning mould off of sprayhoods that should equally well apply to sails...

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    We use Dettol, it kills the mildew and thus stops it spreading - a number of sailmakers also recommend it. However it won't get rid of the black marks, soapy water and a soft brush does reduce the marks. Then apply some more Dettol to protect the sail. I would never bleach a sail or put it in a washing machine.

We also use Dettol on any mildew inside the boat.
    MMC also gets rid of the black marks - but takes some weeks to go.