Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    rivonia is offline Registered User

Talking

There is an old saying'' If you cannot stand the heat, then get out of the Kitchen ''. Well I think that applies to you. If you cant hack it then bugger off.

Having said all that I am in the same camp as the others and would prefer you to stay.

Fair winds

Peter

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

"Diesel is a Commercial Term as is Hoover for Vacuum Cleaner ....... Correct term is Gasoil - No I will not argue this - I state this absolute."

Please stay. But I'm sure I read somewhere recently...

"Fuel Blender - Diesels, Gasolines, LPG's Fuel Oils..."
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Cantata is offline Registered User

Nigel, you've got my whole-hearted support too. Nil illegitimi carborundum- or something like that!
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Shiver Me Timbers is offline Registered User

Wink

I believe the name Diesel comes from the guy who invented the oil engine, Rudolf Diesel. just like Hoover, but he invented Dams. I'll get my coat. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers View Post
    I believe the name Diesel comes from the guy who invented the oil engine, Rudolf Diesel. just like Hoover, but he invented Dams. I'll get my coat. ;-)
    that dam builder was a shirt lifter
    I may be wrong but not always

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Refueler View Post
    a) Diesel is a Commercial Term as is Hoover for Vacuum Cleaner ....... Correct term is Gasoil
    You must tell the BP garage in Wooler, which has both diesel and gasoil pumps.

Shiver Me Timbers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeekian View Post
    You must tell the BP garage in Wooler, which has both diesel and gasoil pumps.
    The white stuff used to be called Derv (Diesel Engine Road Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers View Post
    The white stuff used to be called Derv (Diesel Engine Road Vehicle)
    that woz 4 taxation reasons
    I may be wrong but not always

Refueler is offline Registered User

Default DERV, Gasoil, Diesel ...

These terms have come from historic items ................

For some reason UK became so insistent on terminology ... gasoil became the term for farm / industrial ... and has generally become the lower Cetane fuel in the lower 40's. Diesel is kept in UK terminology for the higher 40's / low 50's cetane you buy for road cars .......... IT's the same ****E subject to sulphur levels ! but blended differently and if it doesn't quite meet spec - additives or spirits are added to boost it.

DERV ......... now there is argument over this - but this is a term derived from a Military specification .... they were writing up specs for all fuels .... whether it be for land, air or sea ...... and the term goes back to war-time ... the word Diesel has no relevance .... it could as easily be called GERV .... ALL 'diesel' is gasoil .................

Question > Any Shipping Co. people on here ? carried a gasoil cargo recently ? Any idea on it's quality ? 0.1, 10ppm, 50ppm, 35ppm Sulphur ????? What do you think you carry it for ?

I could go on and on about this ......... TBH - my post was frustration at trying to help and feeling I've wasted time.

Not my problem, my toys are still in pram - I have plenty of work with Major Oil Co's blending their fuels for distribution into various markets ... I also superintend many cargoes from other blenders / suppliers ....

Many thanks for support posts ....

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Refueler View Post
    the word Diesel has no relevance .... it could as easily be called GERV .... ALL 'diesel' is gasoil .................
    To a fuel blender that may well be the case, and I bow without reservation to your expertise in these matters. Generally, though, "diesel" does have a very specific meaning, as a compression ignition cycle and/or engine - and since a diesel engine runs on gasoil, it's quite appropriate to call gasoil of the right sort "diesel fuel" just as it's appropriate to call kerosene (in context) "jet fuel".