Default omni directional aerial

What is a good one to get to work with HD and digi?

Quote Originally Posted by Csail View Post
    What is a good one to get to work with HD and digi?
    I have the Status one. http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/store/produ...helfid=44S45S1

Seems to work fine for me.

Cheers for that, done research and it seems like the best option. Just suprised how few responces there were.

Cheers for that, done research and it seems like the best option. Just suprised how few responces there were.
    No worries.

I did all the reading for our boat fit-out and I came to the conclusion that none of the boat types are anywhere near as good as the nice long pointy one on my house.

The only other one I really considered was the RR one from Germany. Very expensive thought and only seemed worthwhile if you wanted to fit several aerials at once as it combined VHF, TV, GPS etc on the same unit. If I remember though it was over 1000 and of course if one thing breaks they all break!

The Status one is quite small, and once up the mast you donit really notice it.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Madhatter is offline Registered User

Cus I don't know nowt about them

I've got a Triax UFO which works fine for digi, but I havent got HD on board, so dont know how it works with that.

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=350
    Last edited by Richard10002; 09-02-10 at 23:08.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

V1701 is offline Registered User

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223902's a recent post with quite a few replies. I'm going to try one of the flat panel booster type that you can get for 20/30 in the saloon, or on the coachroof, failing that might consider a Glomex up the mast. I get the impression from what folk have said that if there's a reasonable signal you shouldn't need to put something up the mast, should be OK with a booster type flat panel. Hope that helps...

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Antennae

You can't escape 2 factors with antennae. first a directional antenna has gain over a omni by its very nature of focusing in one direction and in doing so can also reduce other interfence.
    Second up high generally gives better signal than down low.
    With digital adequate gives perfect picture inadequate gives no or often broken picture. So try a cabin type omni if that is adequate go with that. try it outside on a post if still no good try it up the mast if still no good you need a directional antenna. All this assuming that you want pictures in one place ie marina. If you want pictures in an assortment of places or while sailing then you really need omni probably up the mast.
    An amplifier often built into omnis will make up for losses in the long cable from mast top and may also improve reception down low. With a mast top directional you might need an amplifier at the antenna.
    good luck olewill

Glomex works for us, on a 6' pole at the pushpit (together with GPS, AIS and navtex antennae). You get a perfect digi picture in the Solent (well, it is more or less line of sight) and, of course, digi works well in France.
    At the top of the mast would be better in marginal reception areas.

http://www.glomex.it/product_details...ng&id=v9112/00
    Last edited by Playtime; 10-02-10 at 15:55.
    ------------------------------------
    Loves sailing, hates gardening