sophisticat is offline New User

Smile Storm Bridle for Catamaran

HI All from down under,
    yes we have boats here as well.
    Question is do I need a seperate storm bridle for my catermaran ??
    I have one I use for mooring up, its the standard size for my 36'cat and runs from two points from the inside of the hulls.
    I have read that storm bridles should be longer ??

Also plan to run them from the bows as I feel this would be a stronger anchor point.

thanks in advance for any comments and fair winds and warmer weather to you guys over there..

Pirate Pete
    Sophisticat

mandlmaunder is offline Registered User

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum

We also have a 36ft cat and use a bridle, ours is over size intensionally, it is 40ft long over all and secures to the bow cleats, but can also attach at the cross transom beam, and is 5/8inch triple plait anchor line.
    I used triple plait as I can whip and splice it myself.

The over all size is not as important as the amount of scope you have attached to it as the bridle is really only a way of spreading a load from the centre of the boat to both sides to try to reduce yawing and sailing at anchor. It also works as a shock absorber and load snubber.

We also have gone from 30mtr chain and 50mtr of line to 70mtr of chain 7/16(11mm) and 100mtr of 5/8 triple plait because we anchor all the time and up graded our anchor as well to the largest that I can pull on board by hand as we dont have a windlass.

Mark
    Youth is wasted on the young
    Fair winds and beautiful sunsets to all who sail for pleasure

Hello Pete. According to forumites on multihulls4us.com
    your anchoring/mooring bridle should be equal to your beam on each side.
    I've made one up and use a chain shackle to attach it when anchoring.

Apparently a storm/sea anchor bridle should be about the length of your boat each side, and will probably have to attach to rope since you could have anything up to 360ft out, 10* length!

Carrying one of these made up as well is further than most boats go I'm sure. But you should certainly have enough rope to make it up, and very strong cleats with backing pads.
    ----------------------------
    Mark, 70mtrs of 7/16in chain and no windlass, I'm concerned about your back!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by tri39; 22-02-10 at 17:40.

mandlmaunder is offline Registered User

Mark, 70mtrs of 7/16in chain and no windlass, I'm concerned about your back!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Only had it all out once in 18mtr depth, it was my legs that were shacking the most.
    Youth is wasted on the young
    Fair winds and beautiful sunsets to all who sail for pleasure

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticat View Post
    HI All from down under,
    yes we have boats here as well.
    Question is do I need a seperate storm bridle for my catermaran ??
    I have one I use for mooring up, its the standard size for my 36'cat and runs from two points from the inside of the hulls.
    I have read that storm bridles should be longer ??

Also plan to run them from the bows as I feel this would be a stronger anchor point.

thanks in advance for any comments and fair winds and warmer weather to you guys over there..

Pirate Pete
    Sophisticat
    Welcome aboard, sounds like you might be sailing up the East coast? a fantastic trip and highly recommended having done a few times myself.

The advice above all looks good, just check the lugs on the inside of the hulls are up to it and have good backing plates to spread the load.

Also check the rating for anchor/s you carry on board, and look around for manual winch, the lever type are a bit slow but easy to operate and very strong.

We have an electric winch and I shudder to think how tough it would be to haul in by hand.

Keep us posted on your progress, might be able to direct you to some great dive sites and anchorages. Be warned, you might not make it to the planned destination. Cairns and Port Douglas are full of cats and other craft just happy to stay.

Avagoodweekend......
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Hi OldSalt. I was a deckie on a boat going out to Low island from Port Douglas for three months in '79! Best job I ever had, 30dollars/day and living in VW camper.
    There was only one yacht there and a few cat dinghies. I remember the sandbar being a problem at low tide. Population then 400 people.
    I must go back one day, or maybe I shouldn't!

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tri39 View Post
    Hi OldSalt. I was a deckie on a boat going out to Low island from Port Douglas for three months in '79! Best job I ever had, 30dollars/day and living in VW camper.
    There was only one yacht there and a few cat dinghies. I remember the sandbar being a problem at low tide. Population then 400 people.
    I must go back one day, or maybe I shouldn't!
    Ah the good old days, worked like a dog for next to nothing and loved it.

Well the sand bar is still a problem, the old pub is still standing and they just slapped a preservation order on the old boat shed on the beach/jetty.

As for going back particularly after a long absents, I have only had bad results, all your good memories are dashed, most of the great spots have gone or are no longer accessible, the whole character of the place has changed. Now lots of very expensive restaurants and coffer houses and boutiques/shops crammed into any small spaces left.

The population has grown a lot with quite a few high profile people owning huge homes they live in for a few months a year, that 400 people that used to be the total population is trebled in just half of the short main street on any day of the week now.

With a new Marina that is also very expensive, meaning the kreek behind 4 mile beach is lined with mooring on both sides.

However the reef fishing and diving are still fantastic despite the very high volume of visitors.

So with that information you can see that a visit will result in "what happened to"???

Avagoodweekend......
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.