Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
    It always stikes me as odd that Halfrauds, swindlers and camping shops sell 20 litre plastic and 'army style' metal jerry cans for petrol or diesel, and yet the regs say the largest container you can legally fill on the forecourt is 10 litres. How does that work?
    both links in my first post say its more than that
    "It was the crew's fault"

Wiggo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JKay View Post
    both links in my first post say its more than that
    Didn't read 'em, I have to confess. I was just basing my comment on what the signs at the petrol station say...

From the http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosi...htm#containers :

"How many containers can I fill at a petrol station?

Petrol filling stations may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill - frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a decision made by the filling station operator and is not a legal requirement.

Petrol filling stations usually have to abide by a licence condition to allow only 'suitable' containers to be filled. This is usually interpreted as metal containers up to a maximum size of 23 litres or plastic containers up to a maximum size of 5 litres. A licence condition has the same effect as a legal requirement. The licence condition does not limit how many containers one customer may fill."
    Last edited by Wiggo; 26-02-10 at 10:39.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

Thanks for that

Seems I have to break their rules to fill my boat
    "It was the crew's fault"

is there any legal way to fill 2 x 30 litre hulk plastic petrol containers??

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
    Petrol filling stations usually have to abide by a licence condition to allow only 'suitable' containers to be filled. This is usually interpreted as metal containers up to a maximum size of 23 litres or plastic containers up to a maximum size of 5 litres. A licence condition has the same effect as a legal requirement. The licence condition does not limit how many containers one customer may fill."
    The petrol station I use to fill up my cans would be out of business if they refused boaters to fill up! Well, not really, but it is a significant boating fill up.

On a Saturday morning during the season nearly every lane has someone filling up jerry cans and portable boat fuel tanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123