gasdave is offline Registered User

Default cabin FM/MP3 unit speakers

Having just purchased a nice Alpine unit on ebay I now need to find a pair of speakers to fit either on the shelves or perhaps bulkhead of my Sadler 26 (so nothing too massive!).

I would have have liked a couple of smallish box speakers but these seem to be difficult to find without spending upwards of 70-80.

PC speakers are 240V.

Car speakers are generally round and unmounted, therefore require some sort of "building in" - which I could do but to do properly I would need to build a box each and "line" with wadding, etc.... (maybe I'm just lazy )

The head unit plays MP3 players via a USB link. Would it be an option to plug a USB splitter into this and power some box speakers via another USB lead - I have found such speakers, normally for using with a laptop, etc? Obviously they would only ever be on when the head unit is on.

Anyone got any reasonably priced ideas / solutions?

Default How About This?

Dave,

The previous owner of our (non-UK standard) Sadler 26 arrived at the solution as shown in the attached photograph. It is simply a piece of ply cut to fit at an angle across the width of the shelf. I would imagine it would be possible to do someting similar with yours?

It gives a nice stereo focus to the saloon too.

Hope this helps.

Tim

ps Don't worry the dodgy upholstery and saggy headlining has all been stripped and replaced this winter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mavis is offline Registered User

Just had the same problem finding speakers for my 29. I could not find any decent box speakers and have ended up buying a decent set of 2 way car speakers and building boxes to fit them in.

everyone seems to have a problem getting small speakers ?

find your local CASHCONVERTER , trust me lol

gasdave is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    ended up buying a decent set of 2 way car speakers and building boxes to fit them in.
    I've come across this term before looking for speakers - what is a "2 way" speaker?

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

A two-way speaker has two elements - a woofer for low notes and a tweeter for high ones. Theoretically, better performance than a speaker with only one element trying to reproduce everything.

The big cone filling most of the circle is the woofer. The tweeter is mounted in the centre of the woofer.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Not sure how well they'd stand up to life on a boat (chipboard cabinets), but Argos item number http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%3ESPEAKER.htm sound pretty good for 30.

Andy

Edit for clarification: "..sound pretty good..." = the sound that comes out of them is pretty good - we have a couple of pairs in the house.
    Last edited by misterg; 25-02-10 at 16:22.
    Free guitar lessons: www.justinguitar.com

bromleybysea is offline Registered User

If you can get to Croydon, these look good, they also do ones for panel mounting:http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/...x?id=146517962 Unfortunately, Clas Ohlson don't do mail order in theUK.