Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wansworth is offline Registered User

Default Life boat conversions..cautionary tale

Having decided my 15 footer was not big enoughfor world cruising or entertaining females I came across a 26 foot life boat conversion complete with petro/paraffin engine,I read all the books on conversion of same into wonderful seaboats.The boat was at a bargain price with a double bed so already it had possibilities.Well after a day or two getting the engine started I set off from Bosham towards Itchenor where I beached her for repairs.The harbour master waivered the dues owing by the previous owner and said I would have to move asp.The following high tide came and entered through the garboard flooded the engine and all my worldly posessions.I gave it away the next day and spent the summer persuading a young lady of the fun we could have sailing....

highandry Guest

Talking

My first boat! 26 foot clinker built lifeboat off a scrapped CEGB (Central Electricity Generating Board) collier. When 'lecky was made at Battersea power station. 45, paid for with my first voyage wages as deckboy.(1961)..
    Changed the dipping lug to Gunter rig and sailed her from Erith on the London River to Pin Mill, non-stop. Well almost!... spent a few hours at 20 degrees list hard aground on the Stoney Banks I think they're called just South of the Medusa Bouy.

Wansworth is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by highandry View Post
    My first boat! 26 foot clinker built lifeboat off a scrapped CEGB (Central Electricity Generating Board) collier. When 'lecky was made at Battersea power station. 45, paid for with my first voyage wages as deckboy.(1961)..
    Changed the dipping lug to Gunter rig and sailed her from Erith on the London River to Pin Mill, non-stop. Well almost!... spent a few hours at 20 degrees list hard aground on the Stoney Banks I think they're called just South of the Medusa Bouy.
    Voyageing in the classic mode!

highandry Guest

Thumbs up

When you're 17 years old risk and danger only applies to others, I recall..

I wonder how many people here started their boating life on a converted lifeboat? Pete_Cooper and I certainly did; Dad's first big boat was a 27' concerted lifeboat called Pulang. Clinker built, rigged as a gaff cutter, Thornycroft Handy Billy engine. I remember them being commonplace on brokers' lists in those days.

I too started on one of these. Parents boat naturally, single cylinder Ailsa Craig diesel. Would run for hours on a gallon of diesel, nearly as long as the time it took to start it!

highandry Guest

I confess I can't remember what engine mine had. I think I started it with petrol and then switched to paraffin..Just one cylinder and a plug stuck in the top which somehow I always managed to get a shock from, and a whacking big flywheel. Lister possibly?

If you are going to have a lifeboat hull, it might as well be a proper one like http://www.berthongroup.co.uk/New_UK...urr_id=10&vd=1, which a mate of mine is selling.

No need to go without the creature comforts.
    Last edited by Ex-SolentBoy; 26-02-10 at 14:57.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

highandry Guest

Talking

Can't stop laughing, the big bed and the curved companionway finally did me in.

Quote Originally Posted by highandry View Post
    Can't stop laughing, the big bed and the curved companionway finally did me in.
    Chuckle you may, but we came across Biscay in this in 40 knots winds and huge seas (never good at heights in metres, but waves way higher than the boat). Awesome experience and the boat just powered through it.

Also did St Vaast to Hamble in 45 knots wind, but smaller waves and hardly spilled the tea.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy