Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jonoR is offline Registered User

I know a man of your calibre could do it easily. I will get you out to Jersey one day Paul.
    Take care

I'm in favour the other way round, it is the simplest and littlest of things. Last boat we had webasto and the thermostat was not good, we have an eber now and its spot on.
    If I was being picky the fuel pump on the new one is noisy - but that's separate from the heater (mounting?).
    Webo never went wrong, and (touch wood) eber hasn't either.

hlb is offline Registered User

Had an eber, it cost fortunes in parts, eventually switched to Weber. That lasted about two years, before sooting it's self up passed normal cleaning and burning all it's wires and gubbins out. I now use the 20 quid fan heater mostly and save the Weber for emergencies only.

Just installed an Eber yesterday and can confirm they are not marinised as there are instructions included for fitting in trucks/vans and boats. There is a extra pack with a few boaty bits, i.e. skin fitting for the exhaust.
    You must not change the pipes for anything else unless you get the internal diameters spot on, as it will upset the pumps delivery, there are detailed instructions depending on where you take the fuel from on the boat/truck showing that you have to use certain diameter pipe before the the pump and smaller after the pump, the pipes are in the fitting kit.
    One thing to bear in mind is that bigger isn't always better, the customer ordered a D3 for a 20 ft boat!, I convinced him to have a D2, the problem is that if the output is too much you will turn it down very quickly and run it on low, all diesel heaters will suffer from sooting if run at tickover for extended periods and it will need decoking as the burner will block up, as others have experienced.
    Its better to have one which needs running at full for at least half the time its on.
    I have repaired all heaters from Wallas through Eber and Webasto, I can confirm Wallas give very little trouble and will only need a new glow element every few years.Had Wallas heater and cooker in my last boat and would definitely have cooker again.
    Eber are fine if installed and serviced correctly, but most problems I have seen are from incorrect fuel supply or low voltage, and I have an antique Webasto Airtop in my boat which I serviced last year and converted to run with a thermostat instead of either on or off and it works just fine.

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

I suspect my Eber is sooted up as it never gets terribly hot regardless of fan speed. Any pointers as to how to do this (Tightwad here) or is it a shop job?
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Default Thanks to all..

The feedback has been most useful. I have never heard of Wallas but having now read all about them, I am inclined to think their D40 might be the best option for my particular boat. I'll report again once I've completed fitting...

Default No noise or power needed...

If you only want to heat one space then I recommend a propane Force 10 cabin heater.

http://www.boatownersworld.com/dicki...bin_heater.htm

I have on Amaranth and it works very well. (There's gas onboard anyway for the cooker)

I am not keen on any heating that requires power and is fan driven. All I can hear when walking along the pontoons this winter is the whirring of other boat's Ebbers..

Ian

Default wabasto heater

Hallo webasto fans.
    Can anyone tell me how a wabasto heater is suppose to work?
    mine is the airtop 2000 [small] It spools up nicely but no matter what i set the temps to It just keeps on blowing hot air. I have tried setting It halfway round the dial[ approx 22 deg ] running untill the cabin is really warm then dropping it to [approx 11 deg] but it just keeps blowing hot air at the same volume and temp untill I switch It off. It then spools down properly It's three years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Fanner View Post
    I suspect my Eber is sooted up as it never gets terribly hot regardless of fan speed. Any pointers as to how to do this (Tightwad here) or is it a shop job?
    I've read on these fora that running it on paraffin for a couple of hours/ 4l say, cleans up the burner nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by balooboat View Post
    Hallo webasto fans.
    Can anyone tell me how a wabasto heater is suppose to work?
    mine is the airtop 2000 [small] It spools up nicely but no matter what i set the temps to It just keeps on blowing hot air. I have tried setting It halfway round the dial[ approx 22 deg ] running untill the cabin is really warm then dropping it to [approx 11 deg] but it just keeps blowing hot air at the same volume and temp untill I switch It off. It then spools down properly It's three years old.
    Id say the reason its on hot is because its that cold it cant reach trip out temp.

You could test the thermostat by applying a hot air gun or hair dryer near the stat to see if it trips out.