Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Snooks - these powerboats are dangerous things ... I'd stick to photographing the ones with pointy sticky bits in future!!

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    Snooks - these powerboats are dangerous things ... I'd stick to photographing the ones with pointy sticky bits in future!!

Boom Boom
    "It was the crew's fault"

Default Oh Graham

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    I'll write more tomorrow, a bit tired now.

A few points, the photoboat was stationary, Monte Carlo 42 was flat out. Top speed is 35 knots.

I wasn't running the shoot, someone on the flybridge was, I just went out to get some shots of a different boat.

Damage on MC42 runs about 35 feet along the port side. The only place this damage could have come from is the flybridge of the photo boat.

There are marks on the transom that would seem to tie up with a stern drive.

I won't comment on the driver of the powerboat. But the quick thinking of the photoboat driver got the boat into a marina within 5 mins. Probably saving the boat which was sinking at the time.

After seeing the damage of the MC42, it would appear the MC42 went over the top of me!

I, and everyone else on board was very lucky. I could easily be a red mess on two boats, and when the everything went black I thought I was
    You have spoiled it now...

Just because you were the one there, on the boat, doing the test, knowing what speed each vessel was doing, seeing the crash, being in the crash, nearly dying and have the pix to prove it.....Does not mean you know all the facts...

Leave that to the good folk of the forum....

Glad you are ok, I am assuming you have your little blue card with you now...

Having blown up the photo, I would describe the damage as 'serious' both the side moulding off the hull have been ripped away from the deck moulding and the transom has been ripped off, that's pretty bad!!
    Having fun out on the water!http://www.mendezmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by RichardShead View Post

Oh Richard!! LOL

Piers is offline Registered User

When I used to do MBM cruises, I was often the 'photo' boat. For this, I found the best way was for my boat to be at displacement speed on a constant heading whilst the boat to be photographed did it's thing accross the transom. Although well briefed for the event, I, too, on more than one occasion, had concerns as to how close some boats would try to pass. Was this adrenolin fired daring, driving into the sun and being somewhat blinded, or what? Whatever it was made me stop taking pics of boats....

I'm not putting forward a reason why the accident reported above was caused. Just making my own comment on being a photo boat.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    I'll write more tomorrow, a bit tired now.

A few points, the photoboat was stationary, Monte Carlo 42 was flat out. Top speed is 35 knots.

I wasn't running the shoot, someone on the flybridge was, I just went out to get some shots of a different boat.

Damage on MC42 runs about 35 feet along the port side. The only place this damage could have come from is the flybridge of the photo boat.

There are marks on the transom that would seem to tie up with a stern drive.

I won't comment on the driver of the powerboat. But the quick thinking of the photoboat driver got the boat into a marina within 5 mins. Probably saving the boat which was sinking at the time.

After seeing the damage of the MC42, it would appear the MC42 went over the top of me!

I, and everyone else on board was very lucky. I could easily be a red mess on two boats, and when the everything went black I thought I was
    Good report thanks for taking the time to post it
    Really scary
    I wish you a full and speedy recovery

Kipper is offline Registered User

Peolpe on here do seem to think they know all with very little information. Well done for bothering to inform the opinionated just good nobody was injured regardless of how fast the cuffing boats were going.
    Keep safe!

You have spoiled it now...

Just because you were the one there, on the boat, doing the test, knowing what speed each vessel was doing, seeing the crash, being in the crash, nearly dying and have the pix to prove it.....Does not mean you know all the facts...

Glad you are ok, I am assuming you have your little blue card with you now...
    When I read Graham's account, my blood ran cold. Neale had rather downplayed the incident which, rightly or wrongly, most of us perhaps do not expect journalists to do. Anyway, I'm glad Graham is on the mend. Hope no after effects.

snooks is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone, I'm safe and well and off work.

Here is a bigger version of the images from the back of the boat.

I was standing on the starboard side of the cockpit at the time of impact

If you look at the aft end of the flybridge you can see damage from where the 36 odd feet of the Monte Carlo 42's pulpit and guard rail scraped by.

How did I survive? I really don't know.

At the time I thought I was dead, until I everything started to get lighter. When I realised I was alive I felt such euphoria...Now I'm just sore and emotional
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)