jamesmar is offline Registered User

Default "Lift the dot" fasteners

I have almost finished making a new sprayhood ,all that remains to be done is fix the "Lift the dot" fasteners along the bottom edge (3 each side) .This I can't do until I fit the sprayhood on the boat,in order that their positions can be ascertained,so will have to be done in situ.The studs are obviously still in place from the old hood
    Has anyone got a method of cutting the hole and slots required for these fasteners? I have a wad punch for the centre hole,but the slots might be difficult.
    I am aware that a cutting tool can be hired to do this job,however this is not practicable in this case (boat in Turkey) .
    Any relevant advice will be appreciated.

V1701 is offline Registered User

Is http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/...ocket-details/ the tool that you mention?

I've been making some window covers for inside this morning, out of cordura and used an extremely sharp-ended and small pair of nail scissors to make the slots for metal turn-button fittings to go into. Would that do it? (I now have get rid of the cloth that's left in the middle of the metal fitting and will do with a very hot screwdriver I think...)

I use a flat nail with the point cut off square and sharpened with a chisel like end, works a treat and cost nothing.

Thanks lads...that is indeed the proper tool for the job,but tightwad that I am,I don't want to fork out 35 for something that I would use only once,
    I was thinking along the lines that you both suggested..either a small pair of nail scissors or small sharp craft knife,but I fancy the idea of a nail sharpened to a chisel end,of perhaps I can modify an old chisel to suit. Good advice Thanks.

Chisel is far too big, they are only small slits for the tangs of the fastener, small screwdriver sharpened would do though.

Juggler7823 is offline Registered User

I used the end of a srewdriver whose end was the width of the slot

I meant that I would modify a small chisel>even smaller,to make a blade to suit.
    Any ideas on marking out the slots?...I was thinking about using a pin through the slots in the bottom part of the fastener.

Screwdriver, with a tip the width of the small tags that you bend over on the Lift-the-Dot fitting. And for good measure, heat the screwdriver tip and melt your way through the fabric - less chance of fraying.

I use French chalk on the tangs, put them in place, and then punch where the chalk is. I would not heat the screwdriver, or whatever you use, as this will weaken the material just where you want it at its strongest.