Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pcatterall is offline Registered User

Default Trailer advice, 2 or 4 wheels

To tow a boat up to 23 feet and 1.5 tonnes. I have seen both offered with boats of this size. My instinct is that 2 wheels would be easier to manouver but I have no experience.
    What are the pros and cons please?

VicS is offline Registered User

Manoeuvring a twin axle trailer with the towing vehicle is no problem although the tyres can scrub a bit.

Manhandling the empty trailer is best done by winding the jockey wheel down until the front wheels are off the ground then it's no worse than a single axle trailer.

Possible to tip a single axle trailer over backwards if you climb on board without some support under the back end.

Four wheels, tyres, hubs, brakes suspension units to worry about with a four wheel trailer. Only two with a two wheel trailer but bigger and more expensive.

Actually a bit surprised that at that weight 2 wheels is an option but not looked at trailer specs for a long time.

Don't scrimp on trailer capacity. Be generous with the trailer spec. The boat will most likely be quite a bit heavier than the makers displacement figure

AFAIK the maximum capacity axle you can buy is 1500 kg, so with the weight of the trailer itself (probably 150 - 250kg) you will be over the axle capacity.

pcatterall is offline Registered User

Thanks for that new info. I was actually refering to an all up weight of 1500kg, IE a trailer plated to that weight.

MrCramp is offline Registered User

Agree with VicS's comments.

Look at Indespension web site for info
    http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/ap...ANO=640&slnk=1

The Roller Coaster 8 has GVW of 1,500kg and will carry a boat weighing up to 1,050kg.

The biggest single axle is the RC 10 GVW 1,800kg, max boat weight 1,300kg.

I would want to check carefully that a 23ft boat and contents don't go over the 1,050 capacity of the trailer max GVW 1,500kg.

I have had both twin and single trailers and if I was sure the capacity was OK I would go for the single axle on cost grounds, especially tyres and brakes.

I would always go for the single axel set up, if its safe, legal and fit for purpose.

They are easier to move around by hand, they are cheaper to service and the trailer its self will be lighter. But I dont think I have seen many 23ft boats that are legal on a 1500kg trailer, they are all too heavy. Remember to leave at least 200kg spare capacity for the usual boating junk.
    Mark

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC is offline Registered User

A 23 ft boat on a two axle trailer is a bit too big. The four axle will be much more stable.

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by MrCramp View Post
    I have had both twin and single trailers and if I was sure the capacity was OK I would go for the single axle on cost grounds, especially tyres and brakes.
    I need a new trailer for my Jouster. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the RM trailers quote was less than 10% more (an extra 150 or so) for a double axle. I was less pleasantly surprised to see how much it was in either case.

The plan at the moment is therefore to "built a yard trailer" myself. Or maybe "repair the old trailer with a surprisingly large amount of new metal" myself. But not build a new road trailer, oh dearie me no.

Tricky one really. If you can get a single axle trailer to carry that weight, then the wheels are likely to be pretty big - light truck sized, perhaps,so your boat will sit that bit higher and be that bit harder to launch. Also check out the cost of tyres, you miht find one for a sigle axle trailer of that capacity hard to come by. I also think the components on a 4 wheel trailer are not working as hard as those on a 2-wheel one, giving you a bit more longevity - assuming they are sharing the load more or less evenly (which is much harder to do with a 4 wheel trailer than a 2 wheel one).

VicS is offline Registered User

I need a new trailer for my Jouster. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the RM trailers quote was less than 10% more (an extra 150 or so) for a double axle. I was less pleasantly surprised to see how much it was in either case
    .FWIW I know someone who bought a trailer for his Jouster from RM . He has towed it from the south to Scotland and back and also across France to the Morbihan and back
    Very pleased with it, but I do not remember if it's 2 or 4 wheels.
    Tows with a Transit sized van.