Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twinkeel View Post
    Lots of good feedback here

Looking hard at the Dyneema solution but am a bit worried by the comment regarding UV degradation.

Is it really only good for a couple of seasons ?

Anyone got any tricks for protecting it ( Eg. use mousing line attached to halyard shackle so that the Dyneema can be withdrawn into the mast when not in use ??

Thanks to all
    Racers strip off the coat to reduce weight and windage, just leave the coat on, its purpose is to cover the core where the strength is.

saltylegs is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Racers strip off the coat to reduce weight and windage, just leave the coat on, its purpose is to cover the core where the strength is.

yea that was my point about keeping it covered ie the outer coating in place as a previous formite had mentioned stripped dynema.

i have then had it hard racing for 6 years without problems

Default Braid On Braid Is Good Enough

I use braid on braid on my boat and have used braid on braid on a charter fleet as well. Adjusting the Halyard when sailing is pretty standard practice and upwind performance has never been limited because of braid on braid. It lasts years as well.

I would recommend that you go for brain on braid.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I use braid on braid on my boat and have used braid on braid on a charter fleet as well. Adjusting the Halyard when sailing is pretty standard practice and upwind performance has never been limited because of braid on braid. It lasts years as well.

I would recommend that you go for brain on braid.
    I may be wrong but not always

These people are very good (used them last year) here is a good rope for halyards: http://www.outdoorxscape.co.uk/store...ope/p_134.html

Quote Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
    There used to be halyards before dyneema correct? Pre-stretched polyester perhaps?
    Yes - they were wire. Unless you werent too bothered about sail performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Yes - they were wire. Unless you werent too bothered about sail performance.
    3 strand pre-stretched used to be the norm for cruising boats 30 yrs ago
    with wire to braid for racing
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    In the old days in your size of boat halyards were generally wire, spliced to polyester rope at the working end for handling. Today I would definitely go with dyneema, you can buy 10mm for 2.50 per metre at

http://www.ropecellar.com/ChandleryForSale.asp

I have bought from them in the past and had good service
    For regular racing use dyneema certainly, but for cruising a good polyester braid-on-braid with low stretch figures performs well and is much cheaper. My stock brand is 2.2% at 20% of break load, anything similar or better would be good. For halyards don't be tempted downsize for economy, you'll increase the stretch by about the sq of the difference in diameter.
    Barry at Boatropes boatropes@barryedwards.co.uk 01606 888154

charles_reed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by twinkeel View Post
    Boat is 30ft with a tall rig (40ft luff)

Main halyard needs replacing and am confused by conflicting advice from chandlers.

Some say Liros braid on braid

Others say low stretch polyester with braided outer

What do people think ?
    Dyneema - my spinnaker halyard is 20 years old and still utterly sound (and that is in the Med).

An alternative is Vectran - not quite as strong but slightly less stretch.

For a main the size of yours (it's similar to mine) braid on braid, even is prestretched will be a very cheapskate and unsatisfactory solution.

My original halyard was Kevlar - that does suffer from UV degradation as well as fatigue - its only advantage was its lack of stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by charles_reed View Post
    .........braid on braid, even if prestretched will be a very cheapskate and unsatisfactory solution.....
    If that is so can someone please explain how my customer with a Storm 33 rerigged his main halyard and all other running rigging with my brand of braid-on-braid and achieved 3rd in class round the Isle of Wight this year? I offered it for cruising rather than racing but he doesn't regard his purchase as "cheapskate".
    It would be more helpful if contributors could offer their advice from their own perspective whether cruising or racing.
    Barry at Boatropes boatropes@barryedwards.co.uk 01606 888154