Default Houdini hatches -worth replacing?

One of the problems of a major refit (whether of a house or a boat) is that the more you do, the more you have to do! Whilst fitting the windlass during my last trip home, I noticed that the drip from the (original, Houdini, 25YO) forehatch had become worse. I note a number of suppliers offering a Gebo model as a one-for one replacement. But they're not cheap (is anything?) so is it worth doing?
    If not now, when?

I've just fitted a new hudini hatch. Very impressed and good value

FinesseChris is offline Registered User

Yes, Gebo fitted straight into the Houdini hole, does not leak, worth the price and not hard to fit.
    Chris

seumask is offline Registered User

Also pleased with my Gebo replacement, which was more expensive, but has a friction hinge, operates from inside or outside and for the year its been in no drips despite some significant sailing in waves. It also appears that to replace the seal would be fairly easy.

FinesseChris is offline Registered User

And another thing: you can lock the Gebo, from the inside, in a ventilation position.
    Chris

markdj is offline Registered User

Instead of going for a Houdini hatch, I'd just take the existing hatch out and place a bucket beneath the hole in the deck - much less hassle.

End of story.

See my previous posts for Houdini rant !

Quote Originally Posted by alisdair4 View Post
    One of the problems of a major refit (whether of a house or a boat) is that the more you do, the more you have to do! Whilst fitting the windlass during my last trip home, I noticed that the drip from the (original, Houdini, 25YO) forehatch had become worse. I note a number of suppliers offering a Gebo model as a one-for one replacement. But they're not cheap (is anything?) so is it worth doing?
    You can buy the seal for about 5 a metre. I looked into this for a boat I didn't buy in the end. There's http://www.northeasternrubber.com/ep...ew&PageSize=20 (no connection) or just google houdini hatch seal. Worth it if it's just leaking 'cos the self adhesive seal is knackered. I guess you'd just clean all the old gunk off with a bit of paraffin or something and stick the new stuff on. Unless you've got a huge hatch I can't see it being more than a tenner you've gambled.
    Be thorough: leave no turn unstoned.

colvic987 is offline Registered User

but most houdini hatches leak thru the window seal, where the window sits a mm or so below the profile of the retaining metal frame, over time it then leaks thru the sealant which also in time breaks down....

And by then the screws which hold the frame together have corroded making it a difficult repair, with maybe a ruined frame.

Thats why most people go for a replaced, a couple of hours and some sealant, rather then days wasted and risk of a very poor outcome to the repair...

Maybe, but the one I was looking at had a chafed main seal where the hatch sits in it's frame.
    Be thorough: leave no turn unstoned.