Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colvic UFo 31

Thumbs up Pocket Rocket

The owner of sailingHolidays in Corfu has a striped out UFO31, and come regatta days, it thrashes everyone.
    Especially in Light winds. OK so it's bare as the moon on the inside, but this boat has been THE boat to beat for years.
    I think there's a few photos and stories on their website: www.sailingholidays.com

Check it out.

Default UFO 31

I cruised and raced a UFO 31 many years ago . Many were home completed so quality of fit out varies but colvic hull is quick and stable in big seas.Designed to race under IOR with long waterline/ LOA ratio. Mast head rig carries huge genoa and spinnaker so needs a strong crew to handle competively. Mine had a first class solid teak fit out and teak decks so carried a weight penaltyfor racing, but was a very comfortable boat for cruising. Everything about the boat was built strong and inspired great confidence. Good value in the UK today at about 12k for a welll sorted and maintained one.

Here is a Builder's catalogue from Oyster Marine in 1975 - a new UFO 31 then cost GBP 14,100 excluding VAT - and this also appears to not include any sails.

Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Thanks everyone for all the comments on the Colvic UFO 31

I am now the proud owner of one of the great little boats!!

Default 2XUFO31

Hello, I bought a UFO31 on the Medway River 20 years ago called Humbug and promptly sailed it to Tayport (Fife) on the River Tay Scotland. That same UFO I sailed Tayport - Ijmuiden and all around the inland waterways before returning again, direct over the N. Sea to Tayport and, the following year across to Thybron Denmark and back, I had called it Scallywagger and owned it for 2 years.. I then sold it and sailed it back to of all places, the Medway River for the new owner and, he re-named it something like Dondra (he had it I understand for around 6-7 years). In September 2010 I bought another UFO31 called Zavana in Dartmouth and sailed it to my base in Fife some 893 miles distance in 9 days stopping over every night in doing so (Unfortunately blew the main sail out rounding Flambrough Head in a sudden gust & rain, if anyone has a spare to sell). The point is, I bought another UFO31 after so many years because they sail so well in light and strong winds.

I can give you much more information if you wish?

Yours W.P

Default UFO 31

Hi

This may be a bit late but having owned a UFO 31 since 1982 you may be interested in our views. We bought our boat Sambuca from her commissioning owner who sold due to ill health. She has a Seaglass hull (rather rare but considered at the time to be superior to the Colvic ones) and was fitted out by Oyster Marine.

As far as sailing is concerned she is a gem. In light airs we can outpace many 33 footers and im moderate to heavy weather we more than hold our own. Forget all that claptrap about being skittish anyone who thinks so either has never sailed one or otherwise can't sail. She is a beautifu lsea-boat and has never given us any worries in any conditions. We have sailed her in a genuine force 9 (we had to get home) running under storm jib and my daughter sat in the back yelling "Whee"!!

The only condition she doen't like is very close hauled in steep short seas.. Free her off a bit and away she goes. The other thing to watch is that with a folding prop she doesn't like motoring in reverse.

Racing: According to the previous owner she won her class in the Round the Island Race and I recently read an article by her designers when they took the first production model to Oz and wiped the floor with everything they had at the time.

Cruising: we have spent many years sailing the south coast, near Europe, and the Channel Islands. True family sailing with the youngest crew member (grandson) starting at the age of six months and progressing to be able to sail her by the age of eight.

As you can see we are great fans and think that the seventies was a golden age for true cruiser racers. She can't match modern out and out racers but they can't cruise. Particularly short handed. This year we have given in to older age,73, and have fitted a furling jib and a fully battened main with lazy jacks. Don't know yet how successful that will be but we are hoping.

If you are still looking we would be pleased to answer any questions you may have.

Regards, good sailing and fair winds.

Default Colvic UFO 31

There is a very good example of the UFO 31 for sale now. It can be viewed at:
    www.colvicufo31.co.uk

There is an excellent example of the Colvic UFO 31 for sale now which can be viewed at:

www.colvicufo31.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12