Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: This is unreal

Now all i have is competant crew cert, and i skipper a 38 footer. Now i can do this because i know what im doing.

Boreades is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by yoda View Post
    i thought you had to have a passage plan these days to travel outside a port? Surely the CG should be useing this to stop people doing just this sort of thing? It doesn't need more legislation or indeed certificates just sensible use of current rules and regulations.

Yoda
    Good point about the passage plans. Is this something that's been slipped in via UKBA rules? I've had a quick look on the MCA website, but it's not obvious in the search results.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk

Email sent:

Dear MCGA

On the Yachting and Boating forum there's some chat about the requirements for notifying the coastguard/MCA about passage plans for recreational craft in UK waters. I've been looking on your website for your advice/guidance on passage plans, but couldn't find it. Do you know if such a page exists on your website, and if so, please could I have a link to it?

Thanks
    Keith
    Four candles?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyknight View Post
    Simple answear to that, i dont see the point in paying for qualifications i dont need, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreades View Post
    Good point about the passage plans. Is this something that's been slipped in via UKBA rules? I've had a quick look on the MCA website, but it's not obvious in the search results.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk

Email sent:

Dear MCGA

On the Yachting and Boating forum there's some chat about the requirements for notifying the coastguard/MCA about passage plans for recreational craft in UK waters. I've been looking on your website for your advice/guidance on passage plans, but couldn't find it. Do you know if such a page exists on your website, and if so, please could I have a link to it?

Thanks
    Keith
    It would be good to hear the outcome of your email

highandry Guest

I haven't even got an ICC and I can see Gibraltar...funny that 'cos I was bound for Whitby...thought it was taking a long time..warm 'ere off Yorkshire...innit??

Quote Originally Posted by tel1 View Post
    Simple answear to that, i dont see the point in paying for qualifications i dont need, yet.
    I think you'll find that most would agree with that.
    (probably including the chap in the original incident)

Pye_End is offline Registered User

In my view im competant, ive been sailing since i was in nappies and i have over 3000 miles under my belt. .
    Problem with sailing is that you may know what you know, but there is an awful lot that you don't know, and what makes it worse is that you don't know that you don't know it! 3,000 miles is not many. Some here do that in a year or two.

I think you have missed my point regarding the goodwin sands, at the end of the day we all make mistakes, im not saying we dont. But how many of us have gone out sailing with a road map and no instruments? Hopefully none of us. And an icc would teach you this..
    Shane Acton.

I also think that the RNLI are taken for granted and they should not be abused by stupidity.
    All accidents are avoidable. Most are considered stupid after the event.

Nor did he...
    He also had a passage plan, to go to Southampton. Passage plans apparently don't have to be written down (by law), they can be in your head, which is where mine usually are.

Smile

Probably the first time in history that someone mistook Whitstable for Calais!
    It will not be difficult Mein Fuhrer! Nuclear reactors could.... heh, I'm sorry, Mr. President.

Pye_End is offline Registered User

So - you argue that people should be certified and learn how to sail properly, but aren't prepared to do it yourself.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast