Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default approxamate cost outboard service

does anyone know how much it costs to have a 15hp johnson serviced ar runs ok but doesnt pump water its about 15 yrs o;d

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by danielle View Post
    does anyone know how much it costs to have a 15hp johnson serviced ar runs ok but doesnt pump water its about 15 yrs o;d
    A basic service is one thing ... vitually nothing that the majority of people could do themselves in an hour or so.

Sorting out why it does not pump water or why there is water in the gear oil is something else. That's where the costs will start to be incurred.

Some mechanics will not touch older engines.

where are you located?
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

paisley( next to glasgow)

I used to pay 80 for a basic service until I saw an article in 'sailing today' giving detailed service instructions. From then on it was 10 for some oil. Finding and rectifying water pump problem is another matter should be done in 4hrs or so (25/hr = 100 plus parts).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    I used to pay 80 for a basic service until I saw an article in 'sailing today' giving detailed service instructions. From then on it was 10 for some oil. Finding and rectifying water pump problem is another matter should be done in 4hrs or so (25/hr = 100 plus parts).
    I'd go along with that kind of ballpark, however it does become a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario.

Hopefully, it's just a stuck/broken impeller, which is modest to fix. However, obviously there is always the possibility of blocked waterways etc etc and with labour cost in the UK, it gets expensive.

I have to admit, on older small outboards, i'm a great advocate for learning to inspect it yourself.

Try back flushing it - if that produces a flow then check your impellor. If not, then you need to consider some sort of cleaning agent to disolve the salts build-up. But be careful, the more effective solvents can also disolve aluminium.

If repairs cost 100, what's the value of the engine? In effect, your engine is currently almost worthless, if you wreck it you have lost little, if you fix it you have an engine possibly worth 100.

You pay someone else, they may or may not fix it (yes, professionals & experts are fallible too) and you are 100 worse off - even if the engine works, you have only broken even.

Sell it as spares on e-bay & add your 100 to the price it fetches & buy another one

Just some options , based on 100 repair cost & engine cost - adjust yourself to suit actual values.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    Is that the going rate for an outboard engineer? If it is I have been ripped off, I paid 40 +vat per hour!

paisley( next to glasgow)
    Sorry,can't help you, my recommendation is Essex only...
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

PeteCooper is online now Registered User

I would contact The Outboard Shop on Tarbet St in Gourock - he usually does a good job.