Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varnish problem

Divemaster1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    had same problem on teak handrails,could i do same but use teak oil?
    You can saturate the wood with teak oil, but you need something to seal the oil into the wood to prevent it from drying out again... Not sure how other varnish works / dries when applied onto oil. Owatrol D2 is flexible with what is a hard glossy surface ... nor do I know how Owatrol D2 works with teak oil.

Have seen varnish mixed with epoxy applied to hard wearing areas on sails ships though...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

xtiffer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Divemaster1 View Post
    You can saturate the wood with teak oil, but you need something to seal the oil into the wood to prevent it from drying out again... Not sure how other varnish works / dries when applied onto oil. Owatrol D2 is flexible with what is a hard glossy surface ... nor do I know how Owatrol D2 works with teak oil.

Have seen varnish mixed with epoxy applied to hard wearing areas on sails ships though...
    The stuff I was talking about earlier might help: Wood Impreg 120.
    It is a clear epoxy primer. Put on 4 coats and it looks and feels like 10 coats of varnish. Unfortunately it has no UV protection hence the need for varnish coats on top. I suggest 2 part polyurethane but I have also used Epifanes 1 pot on top of it with success.
    I really was a complete traditionalist until I discovered this product.
    BTW I have no commercial gains from recommendation.
    Problem with the grab rails could be water getting underneath and then lifting off the varnish edge. Are they bedded on with compound or dry fitted? If dry then take them off and epoxy the undersides. Pain in the neck I know but it will save work down the years.
    Cheers,
    Chris