Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Default "Home Counties" dinghy

Many years ago I sailed "Home Counties" dinghies from the Scout Centre at Lochgoilhead. Memory is vague, but I think they may have been cold moulded ply, about 12' long. Does anyone know any more about them? The CVRDA doesn't list the name and the only google hits I get are for 20' GRP pulling gigs, also used by the (sea) scouts.

Default Ah! Captain Pound...

Also remember them well too. They were very early and basic grp dinghies that may well have been moulded from a cold moulded plug. As I remember, they were a dark blue colour and gunter rigged with wooden thwarts mast and gunter.

The bow was reminiscent of a Souter dinghy - i.e. round. I still have my certificate of being Scottish Sea-Scout Champion (Home Counties) 196? Too long ago maybe.

I also remember being swept away when sailing one at a Sea Scout Jamboree that was held where Dunstaffnage Marina now is and having to row back.

Captain Pound referred to above was the chap (possibly Sea Scout Chief) who ran the Lochgoilhead centre and lived in the house along where the boats were kept.

Did a bit of digging.....

"The Coypu is a class of small sailing dinghy. It is a highly stable boat, suitable for beginners, and is normally sailed by two people, although three can be accommodated comfortably.
    [edit]Design

There are variants in the design of the coypu depending on the builder. The hull is normally Glass-reinforced plastic construction, with buoyancy tanks front sides and rear. The Centreboard is metal, and the rudder is removable, either fixed (i.e. does not have a downhaul) or with a moveable blade.
    Most coypu mainsails are normally raised by feeding the luff into the track on the mast, although there are variants that have gunter rig sails
    The mainsheet is fixed to the stern of the boat. A jib is used for normal use and only one size is available.
    The boat is heavy in comparison with other dinghies, so traditionally they have proved popular at training centres where it is not necessary to remove the boat from the water on a regular basis. However the design provides a stable boat in all weathers which is ideal for beginners- especially juniors.
    There was also a "Sea Scout" version of the Coypu dinghy[1]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu_(dinghy)

Regards

Donald

159th (GLW) Sea Scouts circa 1960's

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Also remember them well too. They were very early and basic grp dinghies that may well have been moulded from a cold moulded plug. As I remember, they were a dark blue colour and gunter rigged with wooden thwarts mast and gunter....
    There was also a "Sea Scout" version of the Coypu dinghy[1]"
    Ah. That looks like what I remember. I wonder how they came to be called "Home Counties" at Lochgoilhead. Could have been a mistake, of course - I am one of the very few people to have been a member of the pre-Cub "Badgers" ... after a year the scout group found out that we were supposed to be called "Beavers".

Ian, ex 29th Glasgow Badgers and Sea Scouts

Default Home Counties class of gigs re-named Sea Scout class of Gigs.

Hello 3rd Portchester have the last Home Counties class of gigs re-named Sea Scout class of Gigs. We also have the last 3 scout Coypu built, sadly will never sail; it seems the moulds no longer existed. The Gig is not rigged for sailing but I have all the bits. I am also about to receive the design drawings for it and letters that went around when the Gig was first developed. I try and put them on the web page when I scan them.

Default Sea scout class of gig

Hi, I am an ASL WITH 1st Cuddington (Warspite) Sea Scouts, RN95.
    I am trying to trace the origins of the f/g Sea Scout Gigs.
    Our Group has 4 gigs and the oldest one, VANESSA, was brought new in 1962. But we were given a gig called ONRAD about 20 years ago, from 8th Banstead Sea Scouts, which I re-built and is still in use. This gig is older than VANESSA and has only a single layer of f/g on the bottom of the hull, before I rebuilt the boat it had ribs inside, for strength. I am looking out for dates and plans. Can any one can be of help.

I now have plans. If any one wants a copy, please contact me. (22/03/2011)
    Last edited by LEN BROOKER; 24-03-11 at 20:02.