Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Making an anchor trip float + line

There I was about to launch my not shiny new Rocna when nearby English yachty yells that there is some sort of cable on the sea bed and suggest I should set a trip line on the anchor. Having never done this before I realise that I do not have a length of thinnish line and a small float. Attaching several mooring lines to a fat fender was a possibility or simply anchoring away from the hazard.

For future purposes, what size & composition of line should I use for my trip to be strong enough to pull on a 40Kg Rocna? What size float would go with this?

Thanks

TudorSailor
    I have contributed to the Cruisers' Wiki. Have you?

On the occaisions that I set a trip line for my 35Ilb CQR (sorry luddite) I use 6mm line with one end tied off on the anchor the line threaded through a small pick up buoy and then tied off on a heavy shackle ~2Ilb weight which is then closed around the line to the anchor ie it runs up and down the tripping line and keeps the buoy above the anchor with a taught line at all states of tide. I suppose if need be I could lift the anchor and chain with it preferably using the winch but have never had to.

I use an old 6mm halyard with a small, 130mm(?) dia, pickup buoy. Don't use it often so I just adjust it roughly to HW depth before deploying. This is only on a 10Kg anchor though.

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    There I was about to launch my not shiny new Rocna when nearby English yachty yells that there is some sort of cable on the sea bed and suggest I should set a trip line on the anchor. Having never done this before I realise that I do not have a length of thinnish line and a small float. Attaching several mooring lines to a fat fender was a possibility or simply anchoring away from the hazard.

For future purposes, what size & composition of line should I use for my trip to be strong enough to pull on a 40Kg Rocna? What size float would go with this?

Thanks

TudorSailor

You don't pull on a trip line with the boat lying to the anchor. Head the boat up towards the anchor till the chain is straight up and down and then lift. The tripping line is attached to the opposite end to the chain an just bodily lifts the anchor the wrong way up so it does not foul wires, moorings etc. The tripping line only has to be strong enough to lift the weight of anchor and chain. I use old topping lifts and bring the tripping line back to the boat rather than clutter the anchorage with buoys . Just leave enough slack so the chain does its job. Never had a problem!
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post

12 mm polyester would do the trick.
    Don't use something that floats.

Use a shackle on the anchor's trip attachment point if it's not obvious, rope will chafe.

Any size buoy really, just get a small buoy that's brightly colored and easy for you to collect with a boat hook or whatever. It might be an idea to mark "This is not a mooring buoy" or something more colorful on it to discourage less erudite boaters.

www.rocna.com/kb/Buoyed_retrieval_line
    Last edited by craigsmith; 13-05-10 at 03:16.

mandlmaunder is offline Registered User

Petehb has the right approach or at least the same one I use, my main difference is that my marker buoy has a little bit a writing on it telling anyone who picks it up and tries to moor on it that the fee is $150 per day.
    Have had several numpties try to moor on it, mainly in the Grenadines and Bequia and the only thing that worked was the thought of coughing up large chunks of money. The boat boy moorings are $25 a night. Anchoring in most bays is free!

6mm polyprop is well upto the job of breaking out our 20kg Delta.

Mark
    Youth is wasted on the young
    Fair winds and beautiful sunsets to all who sail for pleasure

shmoo is offline Registered User

Something like this:
    If I show you yours, will you show me mine?
    http://www.yourboatpix.co.uk
    Perhaps there is a picture of your boat there already.

Ludd is offline Registered User

When I set atripping line ,I stop it to the chain using lightweight cable ties,up to max HW ,any spare line coiled at that point.When retrieving anchor,cable ties are easily snapped when necessary.I use a lot of cable ties ,but I don't have to worry about propellors fouling a buoy,or some numpty picking it up!

If you have not got a suitable trip line buoy, pop round to B&Q and buy a toilet cistern ball float and a 2" brass screw.
    Replace the pin in a shackle with the 2" brass screw and screw into the ball float.

Much cheaper than anything from a chandler (but not as cheap as a used 6 pt milk container)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    If you have not got a suitable trip line buoy, pop round to B&Q and buy a toilet cistern ball float and a 2" brass screw.
    Replace the pin in a shackle with the 2" brass screw and screw into the ball float.

Much cheaper than anything from a chandler (but not as cheap as a used 6 pt milk container)
    Would a toilet ball really support the weight of 10+m of 12mm poyester line? Surely not

Tudorsailor
    I have contributed to the Cruisers' Wiki. Have you?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast