Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default JOHN DEERE vs SCANIA

Any one had any experience with the above two makes of marine engines? Have narrowed my search to these two.

AndieMac is offline Registered User

I have only heard favourable reports with John Deere marine installations.

Thanks,AndieMac......comparing the new John Deere 750hp (inline six) to the 800hp (vee configuration).The bore/stroke of the JD is huge!!Weight is similar and the JD is $30,000NZD cheaper!!
    Anyone else with any views for the newbie...all will be appreciated very much.

AndieMac is offline Registered User

Guessing a repower?....what are you running? length, weight etc...

Someone may have other options/suggestions.

Are you in New Zealand or just up early?

BTW....G'day and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by AndieMac; 14-05-10 at 07:34.

Thanks..Am in Fiji Islands.Proposed new build...LOA 43ft,BOA 14.1ft,Alloy,weight should be approx 10.5 tons fully laden.
    http://www.maxwell-hall.com/portfolio.php?boatId=65

Anyone can give me an idea on what approx will be the expected cruise/top speed with the 750hp JD?
    Engine specs link:
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/rg/ESC/Sp...5_A_S0_R0.html
    Last edited by bekasi; 14-05-10 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by bekasi View Post
    Thanks..Am in Fiji Islands.Proposed new build...LOA 43ft,BOA 14.1ft,Alloy,weight should be approx 10.5 tons fully laden.
    http://www.maxwell-hall.com/portfolio.php?boatId=65

Anyone can give me an idea on what approx will be the expected cruise/top speed with the 750hp JD?
    Engine specs link:
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/rg/ESC/Sp...5_A_S0_R0.html
    What is the intended duty cycle and can you explain the logic in installing over 31/2 tonnes of motors in a 40ft vessel.

As to trying to work out meaningful consumption off a data sheet is just p*****g in the wind.

Apologies for missing your post with vessel spec.

Default Scania Vs Deere

Quote Originally Posted by bekasi View Post
    Thanks,AndieMac......comparing the new John Deere 750hp (inline six) to the 800hp (vee configuration).The bore/stroke of the JD is huge!!Weight is similar and the JD is $30,000NZD cheaper!!
    Anyone else with any views for the newbie...all will be appreciated very much.
    I have been involved with Deere & Scania.

#1 Question to be answered is support.

#2 Question is support.

#3 Question is support.

After you have established competency of dealers (do they all have electronic service tools) in your intended cruising area you can consider the motors. From the ratings, both DI16 and 6135FM are just under 800 Hp high output ratings so I guess that this is for pleasure.

Technically both good solid EUI engines with little to choose between them. I tend to be an inline six person, however the Scania DI16 is an extremely nice V8 Both motors good for at least 25/30,000 hrs plus, life to overhaul with just regular servicing. Get some budget lube servicing costs from the dealers. Everything is a bargain until you get it home!

In terms of installation Scania wins hands down, the Deere is as tall as an apartment block!

If vessel was here in U.K. Scania would be my choice as I hate the Deere distributor, will be different for you in NZ.

What motors coming out..... DD strokers, both options will give you a huge improvement in socialbility and fuel economy.

If you need more detailed help PM me.

think latestart is the man you need.
    ill just add this run saab(scania) cars for years never had any issues.
    good solid engines.
    hope you make the right choice and happy boating!!!

Jim@sea is offline Registered User

I am prepared for "the knowledgeable ones" to shoot me down in flames but are not some "John Deere" Engines a "Zetor" Engine. And if so they are "Brilliant"
    As Zetor supposibly copied a Cummings engine, Cummings supposibly copied Perkins Engines. The common thing that they all share is that they have " wet liners" which means you can do an engine rebuild without taking the engine out.
    It is unfortunate that Zetor cars had such a bad reputation that when I was buying a Forklift with a Zetor Engine it put me off, until a military friend informed me that the Zetor engine was put in the Russian T2 Tanks and it was supposed to be the best military engine in the world. Since then I have had 3 Zetor tractors and engine parts are cheap.

JD's were fitted in the latest Port of London Pilot boats built by Alnmaritec (Al cat) they are very happy with them, great economy and good performance.
    They also used Seatorque drives which contributed to improving the expected performance figures.

Another option to add to your list would be to run fully composite bearings instead of rubber, as these are bedded on epoxy they eliminate the potential for corossion in the bearing carriers which we've seen on some bigger Al commercial boats. It's more difficult to quantify but race boats report less vibration and better get up and go onto the plane as they resist the tendency for the shaft to flex better than rubber. There are several suppliers/types search for marine composite bearings.

People (even naval architectes) put a lot of thought into the engine/gearbox and prop but often neglect the bit in between.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com