Question Sailing Luggers of Port Isaac Cornwall

My name is Paul Corin and I live in Cornwall. I have been out of touch with the world of boats since the early 1960's. I am delighted that so much interest is being taken in traditional working sailing craft, in most if not all books on such boats i.e. " Inshore Craft " edited by Basil Greenhill , there is no mention of the Luggers of Port Isaac. They were clinker built with a transom stern , the smaller boats in the range of 14ft -18ft had a drop keel and the foremast was stepped about 1ft from the bow so the forelug was almost a standing lug. In Mike Smylie's book " The Fishing Boats of Cornwall " page 73 there is a photo of such a boat. In the early 1960's I used to go sailing in a Port Isaac Boat
    " Little Gwen " PW 146 built in 1903 she was owned by Dr Leslie Hale and moored at Mylor near Falmouth, she was 16ft long and was a joy to sail. When her owned died , she was sold and I last saw " Little Gwen " in a much altered state having lost her Lug and Mizzen rig , at a boat park near Falmouth Docks in about 1973. Does anyone know if she still exists in the Falmouth area, even if she is rotting away in some creek she could be restored or her lines and measurements taken off.
    In about 1974 , I found another Port Isaac boat at Port Gaverne "Annie " PW41 built in 1895.Capt Eric Mckee took off her lines, later her fisherman owner Jack Rowe gave "Annie " to the Exeter Maritime Museum. When the Exeter Museum closed, Mr Rowe thought she had been lost, but I have found that the Exeter collection went to The World of Boats Museum at Eyemouth Scotland. The larger Port Isaac Luggers 20ft -30ft were also open clinker built boats , but the rig was the same as other Cornish Luggers with the fore mast stepped further inboard so the fore lug had to be dipped. What may be the only remaining boat of this type is a Lugger called "Immanual " PW53 built in1896 and 22ft 6ins in length. Under the name of " Daymer Bay " I saw her at Padstow in about 1973 , she was sold away from Padstow in 1976, I would like to trace her present owner if she still exists, or any other ex Port Isaac Boats.

oldfrank is offline Registered User

Annie went off on a trailer from Bristol in the care of David Goddard around about 2003 - some time after Exeter closed. As I recall she wasn't in very good condition and was going to be displayed at a west country museum. I don't think anything has been heard of her since but I guess the charity that succeeded Exeter must still legally own her. OF
    Last edited by oldfrank; 07-06-10 at 05:22.