richardh10 is offline Registered User

Default How to attach to swinging mooring?

Have just moved to my new swinging mooring, and it is the type with a short length of rope (about 18inches) spliced onto the buoy. It would seem to me that if you just feed a rope through the hoop, there will be a lot of chafe, so what is the correct way to connect to it?

I have used the search facility on this site to try and find some info, but got sidetracked by some very interesting threads, so apologies if this has been covered before.

Cheers

I have a chain connected to the metal loop on the top of the bouy. The chain has a loop in the end. For pickup, there's a small bouy with a handle roped spiced to the chain loop.

Some have the chain connected directly to the main chain to the ground tackle. It depends on teh design of the bouy.

Some also add a plastic tube to protect the stem head fitting.
    I always wanted to learn to spell "engineer". Now I are wun.

VicS is offline Registered User

I'd suggest you take a look at boats on adjacent moorings to see how they are attached to the buoy and or riser chain.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

dunedin is offline Registered User

Sounds like the rope you refer to is much shorter than normal

The general arrangement I have seen most often is
    (a) heavy chain for main mooring, connected to the bottom of a large mooring buoy
    (b) very thick rope attached to the top of the chain, with a large eye splice designed to be brought on board and looped over the bow cleat. This rope is typically 2 - 4 metres long, depending on freeboard height and distance to cleat. Often threaded through clear plastic pipe for protection
    (c) light rope attached to the spliced loop at one end, and a small pick-up buoy at the other end - not used for mooring, only to retrieve the heavy rope which sinks

Hope this helps

reeac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Sounds like the rope you refer to is much shorter than normal

The general arrangement I have seen most often is
    (a) heavy chain for main mooring, connected to the bottom of a large mooring buoy
    (b) very thick rope attached to the top of the chain, with a large eye splice designed to be brought on board and looped over the bow cleat. This rope is typically 2 - 4 metres long, depending on freeboard height and distance to cleat. Often threaded through clear plastic pipe for protection
    (c) light rope attached to the spliced loop at one end, and a small pick-up buoy at the other end - not used for mooring, only to retrieve the heavy rope which sinks

Hope this helps
    I've tried the a+b+c system but soon omitted c [the light rope with small pick-up buoy] as being extra clutter. My b. rope must be polypropylene as it floats but nevertheless it appears to be very durable.

Fantasie 19 is online now Registered User

I have similar kind of setup as wooslehunter - got some light chain attached to the mooring buoy with a small pickup buoy on the end...
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

I have the (b) option. 2 x long, about 2m, of thick, floating rope. One goes thru fairlead and then around cleat, other strand thru' bow roller and then the cleat. No plastic pipe protection.