Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    (by the way, the little blue box above it in the pic is the worm drive electric actuator for one of the seacocks)

Fab new bateau JFM.

So the blue box allows you to remotely control the sea cock. Are they all going to be like it?Why? Poor Access?

Lots of gear on the boat, vast opportunity for gear failures, heading away from pleasure boat kit into the realms of kit built to a higher standard for commercial purposes I suppose.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    First pic of the damaged leg also...

Is the 78 heading 'down under' the first to come here? Did they say where abouts? Love to see aboard one. The progress on yours appears quite quick.
    Yup that's the leg - nearly mended!

They have sold a few 78s down under, especially recently due to very strong AUD versus £. I don't know for sure but I think they've sold 3 or 4 approx, and at least a couple already delivered. Ditto sunseeker and Princess afaik in terms of bigger boat sales due to the currency. The Sq78 currently in build is for someone famous in Aus, I'll PM you in case you know him

Quote Originally Posted by iangrant View Post
    "fuel polishing"
    I did think about this Ian but I gotta say a big part of me thinks it's a solution to a problem I don't have. In 8 years of med boating I've never had problem fuel - the fuel supply chain is much better than UK. My regular fuel supplier is so fastidious that they fill the tanks plus 2 sealed sample bottles of which I and they keep one to prove fault if ever there was a prob.

My fuel doesn't get stale cos I use it fairly fast :-)

I have a customs extras list of about 70 items on the boat and it's not a cheap project so I thought several thousand £'s more on fuel polishing could be left off. You do have to draw some lines somewhere! Hope I made the right choice. Most of all, there are enough take off points in the plumbing that it can be retrofitted anyway if the need arises

BTW the three tanks are fully valved. They can be isolated or joined. Literally any of the engines and gensets can draw from any tank and return to the same or any other tank. So if awkward fuel were suspected but had to be bought, it could be taken on in just one tank till I am happy it is good fuel

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    So the blue box allows you to remotely control the sea cock. Are they all going to be like it?Why? Poor Access?
    No, the access is fine. I'm only having electrics on the three back tank discharge seacocks, as part of a custom set up for black tank that Fairlinea re doing to my spec. It's a copy of what was in my Sq58, only x 3 on this boat. It's nothing special, just short discharge pipes with no above-waterline swan necks, electric seacocks, microswitches to dash lights to tell me seacocks open/shut, and simple electrical interfacres so the dump pumps only runs when seacock open (to stop someone inverting my duckbill valves - been there done that), and Sealand Tank Managers so I can select discharge and go and do something else, and it will all empty the tank and then turn itself off when the tank empty light comes on

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Lots of gear on the boat, vast opportunity for gear failures, heading away from pleasure boat kit into the realms of kit built to a higher standard for commercial purposes I suppose.
    Yup. I'll buy plenty of spares to manage gear failures, which are bound to happen. At least I can store them in racks that I can reach, not lost in bilges. I'm very comfortable that the risk of failure due to builder error is as small as it gets: the build team on the 78 are very careful, fussy and skilled, and proud of what they build. I am seeing the workmanship close up and it's reassuring.

Whitelighter is offline Registered User

Posts like these are never boring John, thanks for taking the time to post everything so far.

She is certainly taking shape and looks great. I like what you are doing with the dash mod and really looking forward to seeing some more of the detail - so please keep posting pics when you can.

Jez
    Half a dinari for an old ex-boater

JFM

Just thought of a couple of things that are missing on the 78 I am on.

Firstly trim tab indicators, always a nice to have save you huniting around for the right level. I can gain upto a knot extra by trimming the boat properly. I was told that there would be no need to use them unless going into a head sea!!

Secondly, the service hatch at the bottom of the stairs where the Aircon chillers are. This is great storage space but getting in and out is a pain as you have to remove the hatch. See if they can put a hinge on it and it will save you a lot of effort.

Dont forget to move the camera on the aft deck, ours gives a poor view of the world as you saw.

I am still very impressed with the 78, handling is a treat.

Lozzer

Fascinating pictures, thanks again for sharing them. Out of nothing but simple curiosity, is it possible for the factory to start working on the boat as soon as the hull comes out of the mould or is there a curing period beyond the point when the mould is removed?

Hurricane is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    No, the access is fine. I'm only having electrics on the three back tank discharge seacocks, as part of a custom set up for black tank that Fairlinea re doing to my spec. It's a copy of what was in my Sq58, only x 3 on this boat. It's nothing special, just short discharge pipes with no above-waterline swan necks, electric seacocks, microswitches to dash lights to tell me seacocks open/shut, and simple electrical interfacres so the dump pumps only runs when seacock open (to stop someone inverting my duckbill valves - been there done that), and Sealand Tank Managers so I can select discharge and go and do something else, and it will all empty the tank and then turn itself off when the tank empty light comes on

Yup. I'll buy plenty of spares to manage gear failures, which are bound to happen. At least I can store them in racks that I can reach, not lost in bilges. I'm very comfortable that the risk of failure due to builder error is as small as it gets: the build team on the 78 are very careful, fussy and skilled, and proud of what they build. I am seeing the workmanship close up and it's reassuring.

We had a failure on our Sealand (I think it made by Sealand) Tank Manager system. Princess provided a complete set of parts and it turned out to be the control box so If I were you, I'd make sure that at least one of those goes on your spares list - also a set of wiring looms helps diagnose things.

Default Love It

We Want More....We Want More

Keep it coming John. Extremely Impressive stuff. Shame they havent intevented clear GRP so you can admire all this top work all the time!!

Default Trim tab indicators

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzer View Post
    JFM

Just thought of a couple of things that are missing on the 78 I am on.

Firstly trim tab indicators, always a nice to have save you huniting around for the right level. I can gain upto a knot extra by trimming the boat properly. I was told that there would be no need to use them unless going into a head sea!!

Secondly, the service hatch at the bottom of the stairs where the Aircon chillers are. This is great storage space but getting in and out is a pain as you have to remove the hatch. See if they can put a hinge on it and it will save you a lot of effort.

Dont forget to move the camera on the aft deck, ours gives a poor view of the world as you saw.

I am still very impressed with the 78, handling is a treat.

Lozzer

The Garmin kit we're told being installed will display the trim tabs 0-100 and can be configured to "pop up" on any working function of the GM10, or/and it can be scrolled to.

The rudder angle indicator can also interface and display on the helm controller display.

Camera - also interface onto GPS map.

DON't forget the cooling fans if the displays are housed!

Ian
    Sod it, I've forgotten how to ride me bike

Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast