Page 27 of 165 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast

Any more delays like this I may have to go and buy my own so I can keep an eye on progress!
    "Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination"

Quote Originally Posted by tinkicker0 View Post
    Hmm all this talk of engines. Some peeps do like to make life complicated. If I was lucky enough to buy a boat like that...
    Mmmm.... Dunno TK, probably there are guys who are just "lucky enough" and don't bother about anything, as long as the boat floats. The dream clients for any boatbuilder, I suppose.
    But some others had to work long and hard, possibly using specific technical competences which allow them to understand - and to some extent challenge - even the boatbuilders choices.
    I think this is true for many boaters around here, regardless of how big is the boat they can afford, and not because they like to complicate their own lives.
    Last edited by MapisM; 30-08-10 at 22:01.

AndieMac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Mmmm.... Dunno TK, probably there are guys who are just "lucky enough" and don't bother about anything, as long as the boat floats. The dream clients for any boatbuilder, I suppose.
    But some others had to work long and hard, possibly using specific technical competences which allow them to understand - and to some extent challenge - even the boatbuilders choices.
    I think this is true for many boaters around here, regardless of how big is the boat they can afford, and not because they like to complicate their own lives.

To say nothing of the global credibility a certain boat builder is getting allowing/encouraging their product to be 'salami sliced' by this person of technical competences.
    Its hard not to be convinced the brand is a quality product.

tinkicker0 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Sorry. Did not realise you were a boat propulsion systems design engineer or diesel engine manufacturer design and applications engineer; applying your technical expertise.

Just thought you were spouting off making a simple decision a bit overcomplicated.

Apologies.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itspaul View Post
    Help Missing my fix when is the next installment please
    Went to factory last friday and have a load more pics. Will try to upload this evening. Mad busy at the moment (doing 9 knots in a Beneteau 45, which is quite a ride I can tell you!)

Just thought you were spouting off making a simple decision a bit overcomplicated.
    Aha, now I see why you felt the need to throw in a useless contribution along the lines of who can piss up the wall furthest.
    'Salright then, apologies accepted.

wakeup is offline Registered User

TK: What engines do you recommend?

Boat Propulsion DESIGN engineer: CAT V16 TBDERTERD.

TK: CAT V16 what?

Design engineer: I know you are a diesel engineer by trade, so i'll spell it out in a technical manner; its a bloody big engine that'll do the job creditably well.

TK fair nuff, why that one?

Design engineer: Cos the CAT sales engineer and I have seen who can piss up the wall furthest and we think it will make it all work for a long time and drink less fuel than the alternative. In fact I am guaranteeing it.

TK: Fair enough. I'll have those then.
    I think you missed the point that the standard engines offered by FL would have been MAN not CAT and JFM was quite clear that he had heard lots of gruesome stories about MAN's but none about CATs hence the choice and discussion.

tinkicker0 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wakeup View Post
    I think you missed the point that the standard engines offered by FL would have been MAN not CAT and JFM was quite clear that he had heard lots of gruesome stories about MAN's but none about CATs hence the choice and discussion.
    Yes JFM certainly did his homework and fair play. He is laying down a lot of dosh.

Third party second guessing after the engines are nailed in is not constructive and can have a major effect on owner satisfaction however. This is what the post was about.

I want JFM to enjoy his boat, not subconciously think he bought the wrong lumps because of an ill thought out post.

Anyway sorry for the thread drift. I will keep me trap shut in future.

Sorry JFM, an interesting thread and Sorry Mapism, my original post was supposed to be a light hearted "steady on old chap, respect the man's decision", not a wind up.
    Last edited by tinkicker0; 31-08-10 at 21:25.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

Sorry Mapism, my original post was supposed to be a light hearted "steady on old chap, respect the man's decision", not a wind up.
    Don't worry TK, my reply was supposed to be along the same lines, even if I forgot the smiley!
    I hope it was also clear that I couldn't have been more far from not respecting jfm decision.
    ANY legitimate decision, as such, deserves respect.

jfm is offline Registered User

I visited factory again last week. Lots happened since my last visit over a month ago. Fairline are trying to finish the boat in time for LIBS2011.

Below are general views of outside

Aft deck (below) is one of the Sq78 design features I like very much - they resisted temptation to make the saloon bigger and made this space as big as possible. Much more use than a saloon in warm climates imho. The bit of machinery on the floor is the watermaker, about to be installed

Hole in roof above galley – no going back now on the internal stairs!

Starboard side stab, in what will be the master cabin bathroom. Above the stab and slightly to right is the solenoid valve pack

Master cabin insides. There will be a dressing table and chest of drawers under this window (port side). Sorry there’s not much to see in these pics – next time will show more I hope

Bow guest cabin insides, ditto comments above

Lower helm will be to right in pic below, extended section of galley will be to left side of this pic

Below is just inside transom, showing drivers for Lumishore underwater lights

The pic below is taken portside of the crew cabin, aft of the engine room aft bulkhead. The thing under brown paper bag is a huge wirewound isolation transformer – the Sq78 is wired so the boat’s electrics are not ever connected to the shorepower by copper, only by fresh air and a magnetic field capable of handling 126 amps@230v, for total resistance to galvanic corrosion caused by dodgy shorepower and dodgy neighbour boats. This is very nice kit. Though I hope it doesn’t hum

Bottom left of the below pic is elec motor for the Sleipner hydraulic pack. Oil reservoir and valves is white box behind. All this is just in front of aft bulkhead of e/room, port side. Port side prop shaft is visible in pic. This is the biggest hydraulic pack, that runs the stabs and the bow/stern thrusters. There are separate packs for (a) passerelle (b) swim platform up/down plus bimini fold. The pack pictured runs off an engine PTO and then switches to the elec motor when engine is off. The elec motor is a monster for a boat this size: 7.5Kw 3 phase

E/room

Below is port side of aft crew space with laundry appliances about to be fitted. To get your bearings, far left of pic is sloping transom

Below is the custom fly dash, finally moulded. This is the end product of the plug/mould project madeto my design by Broom Boats in Norfolk. Aquapower kindly introduced me to the team who did all this work at Broom - Aquapower, I’ll email these to Robin too. This is a really nice job. The dash is awaiting two panels to sit on the face, painted Mercedes “cubanite silver” which is a metallic beige, and made by Axon. Then the Garmin gear can be installed

I’ve hit the picture limit so will post the last few pics in another post now...
    Last edited by jfm; 01-09-10 at 18:18.

Page 27 of 165 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast