Page 41 of 165 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast

Great to see everything is falling nicely into place, she is looking a real stunner.
    David

Default Impressive indeed!

Fascinating thread this, really enjoying it.

The mock up stairs already look an impressive standard of joinery! But they do look quite steep. Do you envisage anyone carrying food / drink up there, or do you have a dumb waiter arrangement, similar to Fleming 65?

In English folklore there is a tale that every ship is built containing a single, commemorative "golden rivet" the rivet's location is allegedly different for each ship and undisclosed, known only to the owner. Have you got a secret?
    David

I do like those aft flybridge stairs.

I know there's loads of built-in redundancy eng-wise there so it won't be an issue but it does seem so wrong to have the load taken by the rails above the treads and yet it has huge visual appeal.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trundlebug View Post
    But they do look quite steep. Do you envisage anyone carrying food / drink up there, or do you have a dumb waiter arrangement, similar to Fleming 65?
    That pick of the mock up makes them look steeper than they are. The rendering in my later post is a better view. They're similar to the aft flybr steps. They're steeper than normal house stairs as each riser is about 250mm whereas in a house it would be 200mm ish, but they're par for the course in a boat and will have a nice chunky banister. I do envisage food/plates going up/down but I reckon it will be fine - it always has been fine on the Sq58 whose stairs are similar. No there is no dumb waiter - I didn't look into the idea becuase to be honest I don't want one and dont want to burn up the space it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by David of Essex View Post
    In English folklore there is a tale that every ship is built containing a single, commemorative "golden rivet" the rivet's location is allegedly different for each ship and undisclosed, known only to the owner. Have you got a secret?
    David

Not yet. I work near Hatton Garden though so I'll see if they can make me a 25mm x 24ct self tapper that I can screw in somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    I do like those aft flybridge stairs.

I know there's loads of built-in redundancy eng-wise there so it won't be an issue but it does seem so wrong to have the load taken by the rails above the treads and yet it has huge visual appeal.
    It's not obviously how you'd build a staircase if working in wood but it works fine and looks great. The banister rail is about 60mm dia thick wall tube and there is loads of stiffness/strength in the fabrication. (Sq58 stairs are the same but only on one side; the other side of the treads are attached to a side wall)

Mind you the inside stairs are unconventional too - they will be made in 6mm plate for the horizontals and 4x2 inch s/s RHS for the vertical riser posts, all in a zig zag construction as shown above

It's not obviously how you'd build a staircase if working in wood but it works fine and looks great. The banister rail is about 60mm dia thick wall tube and there is loads of stiffness/strength in the fabrication.
    I guess you'd have to have a real porker on board to see any deformation.

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    I guess you'd have to have a real porker on board to see any deformation.
    You're welcome anytime mate

(Did i just say that?)

wakeup is online now Registered User

Looks great JFM, did you try the kitchen up steps and did they work without bashing head up torso down?

Page 41 of 165 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast