Page 61 of 165 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast
    PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Yup, it goes by road (2+3 Dec; it's a 2-day drive) from Oundle (factory) to ipswich by low loader, then in the water at Ipswich, and everything thereafter is on own bum. The Oundle to Ipswich route is the only route the police will allow

There's one particularly awkward road bridge where they must have to let the tyres down on the lorry or something...
    You going down to Ipswich Jfm ? I take it Foxes will be lifting her in ? Our boat is at Shotley and we'll most likely be there that weekend, will we be likely to see her ?

Just a (probably silly) thought after looking at the last batch of pics. Looks like the catch that holds the flybridge hatch open would rattle ?

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    You going down to Ipswich Jfm ? I take it Foxes will be lifting her in ? Our boat is at Shotley and we'll most likely be there that weekend, will we be likely to see her ?

Just a (probably silly) thought after looking at the last batch of pics. Looks like the catch that holds the flybridge hatch open would rattle ?
    I don't know Ipswich so I might be getting this a bit wrong but it's Ipswich Yacht Haven marina where Fairline have their facilities, which google tells me is in the centre of town. I think there's a lock too, but I'm not sure. If Fairline are pushed for time they might do seatrials on the weekend of 4/5 Dec, otherwise it'll sit there till the monday I guess. Anyway if you're around drop by. I might be there - not sure yet

Yes it looks like it will rattle but the teak rests against the s/s catch so there is no metal-on-metal, and the gas struts push it hard onto the stops. It doesn't rattle in practice. I had same mechanism on both my Sq58s and they were rattle-free. I'll glue some rubber on if necessary though!

EDIT- I just google mapped. Definitely not fox's. It's here, and you can see a Sq78 in Fairline's Sq78 berth immediately south of the travel-lift in the google earth picture, directly to the right of the google-maps red arrow/pointer symbol.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...ngdom&t=h&z=16

It looks an awful long way to the sea. How long is it? Boat will have 50 hours on it by the time I get the keys...
    Last edited by jfm; 10-11-10 at 18:13.

I don't know Ipswich so I might be getting this a bit wrong but it's Ipswich Yacht Haven marina where Fairline have their facilities, which google tells me is in the centre of town. I think there's a lock too, but I'm not sure. If Fairline are pushed for time they might do seatrials on the weekend of 4/5 Dec, otherwise it'll sit there till the monday I guess. Anyway if you're around drop by. I might be there - not sure yet

Yes it looks like it will rattle but the teak rests against the s/s catch so there is no metal-on-metal, and the gas struts push it hard onto the stops. It doesn't rattle in practice. I had same mechanism on both my Sq58s and they were rattle-free. I'll glue some rubber on if necessary though!

EDIT- I just google mapped. Definitely not fox's. It's here, and you can see a Sq78 in Fairline's Sq78 berth immediately south of the travel-lift in the google earth picture, directly to the right of the google-maps red arrow/pointer symbol.

It looks an awful long way to the sea. How long is it? Boat will have 50 hours on it by the time I get the keys...
    I saw my friend who moves these the other day, he says it takes 2 hours to get the lorry with the mast,bimini frame, bathing platform etc and 2 days to move the boat to Ipswich, they have to go through the town centre to get to Ipswich haven as there is a low bridge the other end, It sounds like quite an operation from hearing of what has to be done to move this size of boat on the road.

Its about an hour from the mooring to get to sea (depending on how quickly they are with the lock)

I know the marina, it's in the town centre, as far inland as you can get with most boats and it is indeed behind a lock. Roughly 10nm Landguard point (North Sea). 6kt speed limit makes it an hour and a half ish to sea i think. If you are around for the sea trials, the Orwell is a very scenic river, beautiful. If the weather is anything like decent we'll go down to our boat at Shotley, which will mean we go within 10 minutes of the Haven marina, will swing by and take a look at her, hopefully you'll be around to say "hi" to.

Thought the rattle would be a silly thought lol

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    I know the marina, it's in the town centre, as far inland as you can get with most boats and it is indeed behind a lock. Roughly 10nm Landguard point (North Sea). 6kt speed limit makes it an hour and a half ish to sea i think. If you are around for the sea trials, the Orwell is a very scenic river, beautiful. If the weather is anything like decent we'll go down to our boat at Shotley, which will mean we go within 10 minutes of the Haven marina, will swing by and take a look at her, hopefully you'll be around to say "hi" to.
    OK I'll let you know movements nearer the time, when i know. (Actually it's only 3 weeks away - blimey!)

OK I'll let you know movements nearer the time, when i know. (Actually it's only 3 weeks away - blimey!)
    Yeah, i was surprised when i looked at the calendar myself. Let's hope the 40+kt winds have died down.

Adrianwool is offline Registered User

Default Ipswich and the River Orwell

Regarding locking out, there is a certain window of free flow around high tide which means of course you can motor through without the hassle of 'locking out'. As someone else pointed out there is a six knot limit on the river all the way to Harwich / Felixstowe. The run up to the sea is pleasant through rolling countryside, plenty to see shoreside, e.g. Pin Mill, and at Shotley the Old Naval trainig station HMS Ganges, the marina at Shotley is the old training stations athletics track, now flooded of course!. The channel to the sea is well buoyed, outside the buoyed channel are quite a few shallows. There is a lot of commercial traffic at Harwich and Felixstowe, very large container ships and Ferries. The Port of Felixstowe prefers (if you can) that you navigate outside of the main channel . It is a number of years since I was in this area, I am sure local advice will be available concerning the latest 'do's and don'ts. Good luck with your new 'toy'

Hi JFM Long time since we spoke.

Trip down the river is great and can be done in most weather conditions as it is very sheltered.

For your sea trial they will do a measured run just off the pier at Walton on Naze. I would try and be on board so that you can see the data they come up with as it was not exactly accurate on the boat I skippered during the summer.

The person who said there are shallows is spot on and having spent my younger years sailing this coast I have spent a bit of time on a number of the sand banks.

If I recall the guys at Fairline centre Ipswich were up and down the river about 3 or 4 times running tests so there will be a few hours on the clock.

I hope all goes well for you.

Lawrie

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzer View Post
    Hi JFM Long time since we spoke.

Trip down the river is great and can be done in most weather conditions as it is very sheltered.

For your sea trial they will do a measured run just off the pier at Walton on Naze. I would try and be on board so that you can see the data they come up with as it was not exactly accurate on the boat I skippered during the summer.

The person who said there are shallows is spot on and having spent my younger years sailing this coast I have spent a bit of time on a number of the sand banks.

If I recall the guys at Fairline centre Ipswich were up and down the river about 3 or 4 times running tests so there will be a few hours on the clock.

I hope all goes well for you.

Lawrie
    Thanks Lozzer and Adrian for the the local info. Lozzer, I'm hoping to go on some of the seatrials; not decided yet

BTW Lozzer, I am pretty sure I've customised out all the issues you noted, so thanks for all that info. I have cameras in new positions incl one high up on the mast; drain in the aft deck in front of transom; 1.2m longer passerelle custom made by besenzoni (with auto-fold stanchions, ahem!); steaming light at top of mast, and loads more etc

I visited factory again last week. Boat is very nearly finished, woohoo!. Just needs mattresses and furniture throwing in, the galley finishing, floorings, and a few small bits and pieces, B+O gear in saloon, then it’s done. When I was there the guy fitting the wood flooring was just starting, and a lot of the carpet had been pre-cut and will be fitted next week. It’s on target to be on the truck 2nd Dec. As ever I remain very pleased with the build quality. It’s all beautifully done and Fairline’s woodwork in particular is right at the top among boatbuilders. This post is split into 2 because I have more than 20 pics

Below is general view. Hull stripes done, antifouling (Micron 77 black) on, swim platform in foreground (the platform goes to Ipswich on a separate lorry and gets attached to boat there

Below are saloon shots. Looks quite unfinished because it’s missing its sofas – I visited MJ last week also, and saw them being made – but as soon as they’re in it’s done. All the details like the window blinds are installed

This is the lighting and TV control in saloon (perhaps I should have Crestron-ed it!)

Pic below is one of the elec distrib panels, and the top section has several cable ducts with string to thread new cables

Below is galley and internal stairs. The stairs still need their wooden treads so you don’t get the final look in these pics but the ergonomics of them are very good and I’m very pleased with them. Banister still to install

Master cabin bathroom. This is lovely. Really pleased with the custom touches in here, tiling at end of shower, villeroy+boch sanitaryware and different design of the bar unit to cover the stabiliser fin mechanism

Master cab walkin wardrobe below

Master bedroom custom bureau is the first pic below. Again, I am very pleased with this. The second pic below is the standard design, and I asked Fairline to remove the curves and make the drawers wider; this is a good example of how Fairline will go to considerable lengths on furniture customisation

Master cabin generally below

That’s nearly 20. Continued in next post…

Page 61 of 165 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast