Page 68 of 165 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast
    jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
    I look forward to January when I can slip off my shoes and tread the carpets of this superb creation.
    You will be very welcome sunquest. BTW, on that point, if anyone wants to see the boat and has zero contact with any Fairline dealership and is concerned about getting through to the back of the stand to see the boat, PM me your real name and I'll put it on a list that I'll give to Fairline's front desk so they will let you through. Fairline said they are happy to do that (within reason, in terms of list-length). Obviously, anyone who knows a Fairline dealership or is in the boat trade or feels perfectly able to blag their way through () needn't bother with this!

I think most folk are getting rather worried about this FM 200 stuff -

"I'm acutely aware that an accidental FM200 dump would be like a bullet in the head......."

But please rest assured, the various manufacturers claim that it is not toxic at all - for instance, on this Q & A page http://www2.dupont.com/FE/en_US/prod...200_faq.html#8 they say :

8. "How can I be sure that DuPont™ FM-200 is safe for people?"

"Exhaustive testing has been conducted to assess the safety of FM-200, giving it the most comprehensive toxicity database of any clean agent. In fact, FM-200 is so safe that it is used as a propellant in pharmaceutical inhalers that dispense asthma medications. FM-200 is a single, pure compound; there is no active ingredient in FM-200"

The killer extinguishing system which is literally like a bolt to the head is CO2 - if you are in an engine room which is flooded with this gas you are pretty much dead instantly.
    The same effect has often happened with maintenance crews on big ships going into tanks on the ships without breathing apparatus - there have been cases where there is no oxygen left in the tank (all of the O2 was probably consumed by rust) and the crew(s) have literally keeled over instantly.

Changing tack, I love those very neat remote closing devices on your engine room vents - these are basically following on from what many ships and commercial vessels have as standard and should (imho) be encouraged on yachts as well.
    Even if commercial ships and work boats do not have remotely operated vent covers they are required to have manually operated flaps so that the engine room can be sealed shut fairly quickly in the event of a fire.

The little OSRV built by Alnmaritec (http://www.alnmaritec.co.uk/boats/bo...at_aln096.html) for the Barbados National Oil Terminal earlier this year has a pair of very simple closing flaps on the intake and extraction vents of her two engine rooms (she is a catamaran) - they are not very big, but the engines are only 150 hp each.

Last edited by Bajansailor; 24-11-10 at 20:25.
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://doyleguides.com/barbados.html

Take your point BJ but nevertheless there is still a significant risk to health and if inhaled in quantity, its less harmfull than Halon for sure but I would not want to be in its presence for more than a short while, best be out of there in the first place.
    Last edited by Nautical; 24-11-10 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by coliholic View Post
    Stunning to think this thread has only been running since 15 June when it was a bare hull still in the mould and here we are less than 6 months later and you're talking of a launch date. Stunning performance by Fairline that they have the capability and enthusiasm to incorporate all your changes and demands into what must be a competent existing product. A testament to their attitude and professionalism.

I've not bothered posting much on this thread, quite simply the issues are technically beyond me. I don't have much/anything to add to any of your equipment choices, I guess you've spent long enough thinking about what you want that my input would have been just for the sake of saying something rather than adding to the forum knowledge pool, so I've kept quiet. But read each update with enthusiasm.

One thing though that intrigues me. Are Fairline employees embargoed from replying to these type of thread? I'd have half expected to see little snippet comments from Oundleoscar, or PeterboroughPete either backing up or criticising some aspect of the design or engineering or explaining something in greater depth but as far as I can see there's been nothing like that. Likewise there's no snide little digs from the likes of KidderminsterKen or PlymouthPaul ripping it apart. Actually thinking about that a bit further I don't recall any regular poster from any of the mainstream manufacturers, why's that? Do they all have prohibition clauses in their contracts of employment?

Anyway, going back to your little boat. I don't have any superlatives that haven't already been used, so I'll just say. Nice one jfm. And thanks for sharing such an impressive project with us.
    Hi, in answer to your query regarding Fairline's awareness of this thread, I work on the Squadron 78 production line along with about 90 others and can confirm that there are a number of us that follow this thread on a daily basis. I am not sure if we are allowed to post responses on it but I don't believe that Fairline would be against it as long as we are sensible and considered in our posts. I can tell you that we are all immensely proud of what we do and the kind and generous comments posted on here have only strengthened that feeling. As a team we invest 7 months of hard graft into each and every Squadron 78 and it is hugely satisfying to see and hear how much that is appreciated. JFM's boat has been (and still is for another couple of weeks!) a huge challenge from the outset, but one which we have relished. I am sure that he will have many happy hours aboard and his knowledge and understanding gained from regular factory visits can only help him enjoy his new toy. From all on the Squadron 78 line I hope he enjoys it as much as we have enjoyed building it for him.
    P.S. if any of you forumites want something similar then you know where we are!

mjf is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I guess it would contravene their conditions of employment. I would certainly want to vet anything my employees might say on an open forum about my company's products because what they say might be construed as being said on behalf of the company. The other thing of course is whether they can actually be bothered to contribute; they probably have had enough of thinking about boats by the time they get home in the evening. Lastly, we may kid ourselves that manufacturers are bothered by what we say on this forum about them but at the end of the day, this forum is not big enough to materially influence the market for Fairline boats or any other major builder. Having said that, I would be surprised if the PR depts of the major manufacturers did not keep half an eye on this forum and other boat related forums to check that nothing grossly derogatory was being said about them but I suspect their reaction would be to get their lawyors to instruct IPC's lawyors to pull the thread rather than wade in with posts of their own
    MikeF - I'm convinced factory and sales peep look here; they would I think be daft not too imho.

Remember a couple of years ago now someone I think from Brighton marina started posting stuff and replied to threads etc. Stopped pdq I recall.

Have to say on this particular thread of jfm's he has been a super ambassador for Fairline and EBY for that matter. Praise where its due is not out of place.

Thanks Bajan, that's very enlightening. I think you're right - FM200 aint that bad. To summarise what I've read on it:

1. It puts out fire not be displacing/removing oxygen, but rather by impeding the chemical reaction that is combustion. At molecular level
    2. To work, it needs to be at about a 7% concentration in the air.
    3. It's not toxic
    4. So if it goes off accidentally while you are in engine room, you are fine. It reduces the oxygen concentration by about 7%, but that's not going to harm you
    5. If it goes off because of a real fire, then as it works on the fire some HF is produced. That's not a nice substnace but in the concentrations produced it is not any problem

So, there is no need to worry about an accidental discharge while you're spannering in the e/r

Good stuff then. Thanks again BajanS

Actually thinking about that a bit further I don't recall any regular poster from any of the mainstream manufacturers, why's that? Do they all have prohibition clauses in their contracts of employment?
    I've a feeling Gerald Wainwright used to post on here occasionally, when he was MD of Sealine.

.....But he was the MD, of course....
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Quote Originally Posted by DanT View Post
    I hope he enjoys it as much as we have enjoyed building it for him.
    As much as!?! You must be joking...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    As much as!?! You must be joking...
    Forgive me, but the challenges posed by JFM's customisation have been a very interesting sub plot alongside the day to day production, although obviously not quite as exciting as taking delivery of your very own and very individual luxury motor yacht. You must remember that we are easily pleased here at Fairline. Tea, chocolate and very satisfied customers is just about all we ask for

Hi Dan
    You have a very satisfied customer here for sure. As you know I have seen behind the scenes and so I appreciate how beautifully put together it is, in the areas you can't see as well as those you can

This kind of stuff will keep customers coming back to you. This evening Derek and Karl are having dinner in Istanbul with one of my business partners (I mean a partner alongside me in my/our firm) who is very keen on buying #73, currently sitting in the mould. He has followed the build of mine and we've exchanged lots of emails about how good it is. He currently has a s55 but is pretty keen on taking an s78. Of course he might not buy it - it's not a done deal yet, but my point is that your work is appreciated way beyond me, and the quality of what you're doing will turn into further orders.

Hey, if he buys it, he wont be able to come and watch the build much as he mainly works in E Europe, so he's asked me if I'll come down to the factory to look at it for him and get pictures. And you thought you were going to get rid of me next week

If you or any of the build team are ever down in the South of France (Antibes, near Cannes/Nice) on holiday or whatever, look me up and you're always welcome on the boat. Mike, Karl etc have my mobile. (Though, i'll probably find some jobs for you to help me out with!)

I'm back in Oundle next Tuesday
    Last edited by jfm; 25-11-10 at 23:54.

Page 68 of 165 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast