Just want to say I haven't gone quiet, but we are at a rather critical stage and so don't feel able to add anything else until the lawyers have done their talking. As soon as there is any definitive news, I will post on this thread.
I am, however, really grateful to all of the boat owners who have posted - even the critical ones - you have helped me in a number of ways. I only wish I had known then what i know now when: 1/ I was a green landlubber buying my first boat through a crooked dealer and 2/ when I decided against spending the £200 fare to London and a day off work to attend court for a boat I'd already lost to my ex and was worth hardly anything (relatively speaking).
My current course of action (that I can mention) is to defend the Statutory Demand served against me for the (£27500 ish that the defaulting borrower owes them); to do this, the Bank has to either accept that it does not wish to enforce the High Court judgement against me (or the defendant) and release me from this, or I have to overturn this judgement.
As the stakes have now been raised to £27500 (and rising with interest) I now have every incentive to take this back to the High Court with appropriate representation.
One thing's for sure: the only way I'll be on the water this summer is on my kayak with a bass rod - which is where I'll be tonight