Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mooring in the Barnstaple/Bideford area

Hi All

I am moving to this area in September and I will be looking for a mooring for the rest of the summer.

Boat is a 30' catamaran on stub keels, currently in Scotland so I will have to 'waste' most of August sailing her down to Devon. It will be a terrible hardship but I will struggle through.

Previously I've been based at Uphill and then Portishead when it opened. Over the years I have done most of the Bristol Channel from Swansea to Tewkesbury but never got further than Watchet on the southerm coast.

Does anyone have any advice on moorings in the Taw or Torridge.
    I am planning to drop in to the NDYC on Saturday and ask them but any other comments will be much appreciated.

This will make my fourth new cruising area in five years, variety really is the spice of life.

My bow is fantastic.
    I just go along to stop it winning competitions.

I have been to the area three times recently and would recommend it wholeheartedly. The people I have met from NDYC have all been true gentlemen. Two of them recently drove crews from two of our boats from Appledore to Instow and back. I have been told that Bideford is a freeport, although I'm not sure what that means. There was a cat moored on the sand down towards the shipyard, I'm not sure if it is still there.
    Allan

Thanks Allan.

I spent a very pleasant evening in the NDYC clubhouse at the weekend talking to very nice people and getting the local info. One of the most pleasant, welcoming and relaxed yacht clubs I have been to.

I just need to arrange to have a mooring laid in an appropriate place. Apparently another cat owner has used a helical ground screw very successfully. Given that my boat is very light for her size (2 tons) this would seem to be a good option. I'm not sure where to source one from yet but they seem to be fairly common in the construction industry.

I always associated a 'freeport' with pirates but I think they may have moved on.

Rob
    My bow is fantastic.

sarabande is offline Registered User

Charles 1 granted Appledore the status of freeport after he stayed there one night. Amongst other rights, this means that anyone can put down a semi-permanent mooring on the seabed.

I wouldn't think of a screwtype ; the moorings are laid by a chap in the garage at Instow, who has much experience of the the best type and size. Usually a socking great tractor wheel with tons of concrete.

There are a couple of cats which dry out in the vicinity of NDYC. There is a slight element of risk from 'visitors' if you dry out on the sand, but if you moor out on the really muddy bits, it's safer.

Also some risk of branches - even whole trees - coming down river if you have a big storm with lots of rain. There are lots of benevolent eyes around so make friends, even join that lovely club NDYC, and leave your phone number with them.

I guess you are going to be the biggest and smartest cat around, so a security device might be advisable.

(ex-NDYC member for several years.)
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

It will certainly be a first for me if my boat is the 'biggest and smartest' in the area.

Out on the mud will definitely be my preferred option to deter the aforesaid 'visitors'. I will probably just let the garage at Instow sort it out anyway.

I don't think there is much I can do about trees in the river but she will only be in for the summer so hopefully that will be a rare event. Joining the club is definitely on the agenda if only to enjoy the view from the clubhouse window.

Looks like some kind of alarm will be another task on the list although I rarely leave anything on board worth the effort. It is usually the damage caused by people trying to get in which is the biggest problem.
    My bow is fantastic.

Bunchats is offline Registered User

Default 'Free' does not mean 'free' or give any rights

"Charles 1 granted Appledore the status of freeport after he stayed there one night. Amongst other rights, this means that anyone can put down a semi-permanent mooring on the seabed. "

Christie Estates may be concerned with moorings.

Freeport only means that: Goods may be landed for storage and handling, and possibly processed into manufactured goods. Duty is charged only if the goods are moved from the free port into the adjacent territory. They can be exported to other countries without duty being charged.

In a nutshell, saves all the paper work and helps business move more quickly.

When did that yacht club become friendly, a friend of a friend tells me they don't sort out the plausible drunk at corner of the bar with the loud, foul language and threatening behaviour towards women.
    Last edited by Bunchats; 06-07-10 at 12:50. Reason: additional info
    Screenshot will show the lie, when the time's right

Quote Originally Posted by Bunchats View Post
    "Charles 1 granted Appledore the status of freeport after he stayed there one night. Amongst other rights, this means that anyone can put down a semi-permanent mooring on the seabed. "

Christie Estates may be concerned with moorings.

Freeport only means that: Goods may be landed for storage and handling, and possibly processed into manufactured goods. Duty is charged only if the goods are moved from the free port into the adjacent territory. They can be exported to other countries without duty being charged.

In a nutshell, saves all the paper work and helps business move more quickly.

When did that yacht club become friendly, a friend of a friend tells me they don't sort out the plausible drunk at corner of the bar with the loud, foul language and threatening behaviour towards women.
    I was told by the owner of a yacht on Bideford quay that he was asked to pay for the first month he was there. By the time they came back for the second months money he had been told of the Freeport status, when he told the official, he was never asked again.
    I have been to the area 3 times recently, on the last trip we dried next to Appledore quay (account at http://cardiffyachtclub.proboards.co...lay&thread=719 ) Members of NYDC came over to see us and drove some crew member over to the club and back for drinks. I never saw any drunks but have only been there a few times. Everyone I have met from the club has been polite and extremely helpfull. We had a visit from an Instow boat at CYC earlier this week, again, nice people.
    Allan

Default Yes you already said that in your last post

Just clarifying the meaning of 'Freeport' and free berthing has nothing to do with it no point shouting about that.

Being asked to pay - always ask for ID - there used to be a chancer in Padstow estuary who asks for money pretending to be the HM's man. Easy beer money!

Maybe it's the same guy trying to make reparation for the foulest acts - plausible.

The calm weather has made the bar unusually calm and I'm told has brought a number of boats to the estuary - in a swell, watch your right shoulder!

Anchoring/mooring - bilging can be a major problem there - the chain wraps around the bilge keel and 'saws' it during the strongest part of the tide - many go through to the metal beneath!

[QUOTE=Bunchats;2564559When did that yacht club become friendly, a friend of a friend tells me they don't sort out the plausible drunk at corner of the bar with the loud, foul language and threatening behaviour towards women.[/QUOTE]

No sign of that when I was there just lots of friendly people enjoying their evening, plenty of useful advice and all happy to help.

My thanks to them.
    My bow is fantastic.

Default Yes

So you keep saying