Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default cheap mooring in Essex/Kent/Anglia

I am thinking of getting a used small boat like the Hurley 22 and am looking for a mooring in Essex/Kent/Anglia which doesn't cost so much. Towing is not an option for me.

Am I right that mariners are usually more expensive than boatyards? And about seasonal mooring i.e. by taking out the boat out of water for a few months of the year to carry out cleaning tasks. Please advice where and costs etc.

davidej is offline Registered User

join the Marconi club on the Blackwater where they have moorings, winter storage and lift in/out facilities on a do-it-yourself basis
    davidej

Same for Stone Sailing Club just up the road.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

Also my club.. Millbeach marine club... on the Blackwater.
    We have swing moorings, winter storage,also prob best slip on the river.
    Only down side is that you require a trailer, as we tractor haul our craft out.
    Great club, non profit making,we do most of our work ourselfs.
    Most important "cheap as chips".
    Look on our web page for more info..

It really depends on were you live and how easy it is to get to. I used to be moored on the Blackwater, but that was a 45 minute drive away. I am now moored 7 minutes away (plus a dinghy ride), helps when you leave something on the boat. Also are you happy with a drying mooring as these tend to be cheaper ?? I belong to the Stour Sailing Club, mooring is cheap but we have limited room for storage during the winter. But 10 minutes up river is Mistley marine which is about 70 for a lift in/out and also does storage.(can not remember costs as I have a trailer). Hope this helps

I live in Brentwood Essex so very accessible to main roads and the coast. Trailer is not an option so pantoon mooring (cost more) or swinging mooring are more suitable.

Ideally, a lower cost pantoon type mooring with 6-8 (or more) useable hours and winter storage facility. Don't mind to travel a bit from Brentwood for the right one.

Just wonder if it is safe to leave your boat with a swinging mooring?

surekandoo is offline Registered User
    Location : Home:Nottinghamshire Boat: Blackwater Marina, Essex

Cheapest marina with pontoon berths & swinging moorings on the Blackwater is the Blackwater Marina @ Maylandsea. Boats do settle in the mud though when the tide's out.

Steve the manager (mobile: 07530527905 or email: info@blackwater-marina.co.uk) may be able to do you a deal. I used to self launch & recover from a trailer with my previous boat and didn't get charged for using the slipway.

It's also pretty sheltered unlike some of the swinging moorings in the river.

Loddon is offline Registered User

Bradwell Marina
    http://www.bradwellmarina.com/
    about 1800 for 25ft good access except 1hr either side of low tide.

There are moorings sometimes available in the creek outside
    http://www.danburyoutdoors.com/dingh...d_moorings.php

Julian

davidej is offline Registered User

A marina pontoon will cost probably 5 to 10X a swinging mooring but you have to consider the need for a dinghy ( and probably an outboard) if you choose the latter.
    I wouldn't worry about the safety of the boat - there are literally thousands on swinging moorings on the east coast and more boats have been stolen from marinas than lost on moorings.
    The Blackwater sounds ideal for you - why dont you do what I did 10 yrs ago. Drive from end to end looking at all the clubs/marinas, checking prices and talking to the locals. Well worth a weekend.
    davidej

If you don't mind a bit of a drive then Hoo Ness Yacht Club on the Medway has cheap moorings and offers lift out and storage ashore. Currently fin keelers require a yard trailer, bilge keelers go on the hard. Other yacht clubs are available!

From Brentwood the Crouch is worth a look, various clubs and orgs offering moorings/berths. You could also try Benfleet and Leigh on Sea but I'm sure others will have a better idea than me of facilities on the south essex coast.

Good luck.