Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    saltwater_gypsy is offline Registered User

Couple of thoughts.
    The water cooled system you have is going to give back-pressure to the exhaust which might impair performance.
    Why not use the standard silencer for this engine and a simple water jacket to cool the exhaust pipe OR the double wall system that is used in many boat heaters would allow you to use a standard exhaust outlet at the hull.

Over the whole piece, its an interesting exercise to achieve cheaply what is already available commercially OR is that really the case?. How much for a new Honda engine and a new Bosch alternator? Often the cost of building from spare parts is far more than the finished product where the advantages of trade prices and bulk buying apply.
    "Cruising is boat maintenance in paradise"
    Seastream 43:
    http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...gypsythree.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
    Couple of thoughts.
    The water cooled system you have is going to give back-pressure to the exhaust which might impair performance.
    Why not use the standard silencer for this engine and a simple water jacket to cool the exhaust pipe OR the double wall system that is used in many boat heaters would allow you to use a standard exhaust outlet at the hull.

Over the whole piece, its an interesting exercise to achieve cheaply what is already available commercially OR is that really the case?. How much for a new Honda engine and a new Bosch alternator? Often the cost of building from spare parts is far more than the finished product where the advantages of trade prices and bulk buying apply.
    The water cooled exhaust has done what it was designed to do....take a load (most?) of the heat away and reduce the noise.. the performance seems to be very similar...

check the 2 vids, before:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KT8pcY9Uo

and after:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7YavgFxijo

personally i am not really interested in the costings as its a 1 off just for me...
    Last edited by mattnj; 02-07-10 at 11:50.

Hi Matt, I haven't read the whole thread because the subject doesn't grab me, but I think you're a true PBO and you and your son have had fun with the project. Good on you. I remember in David Sinnett-Jones book about his RTW trip in Zane Spray he had a little Mase generator to charge his batteries for radio usage. ISTR he had problems with the engine/genny linkage because of vibration, but I'm sure there are modern couplings that will cope with that. Good luck with your project.
    The sign on my cabin door says 'Not enough bucks stop here'

All that heat going to waste... as you are already pumping the cooling water, you could send it through a couple of radiators inside the boat for use on cold evenings...

Quote Originally Posted by alahol2 View Post
    All that heat going to waste... as you are already pumping the cooling water, you could send it through a couple of radiators inside the boat for use on cold evenings...
    I'm sure I'm not the only person considering a fully plumbed in version sharing its hot water with the calorifer.
    Also wondering about the economics and weight of generator and electric heaters vs eberbasto types.

cozzykim is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mattnj View Post
    The water cooled exhaust has done what it was designed to do....take a load (most?) of the heat away and reduce the noise.. the performance seems to be very similar...

check the 2 vids, before:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KT8pcY9Uo

and after:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7YavgFxijo

personally i am not really interested in the costings as its a 1 off just for me...
    How about an LPG conversion to reduce the noise level even more?
    May the Groke take you

DownWest is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    Hi Matt, I haven't read the whole thread because the subject doesn't grab me, but I think you're a true PBO and you and your son have had fun with the project. Good on you. I remember in David Sinnett-Jones book about his RTW trip in Zane Spray he had a little Mase generator to charge his batteries for radio usage. ISTR he had problems with the engine/genny linkage because of vibration, but I'm sure there are modern couplings that will cope with that. Good luck with your project.
    Heh, I used to have a little Mase genset. 2T, 600w at 220v and 20amp for 12v charging. Very usefull, esp when we needed to boost the starter bats. for the company yacht after they had been let down in dock. (out of reach of shorepower) And a spectacular 'save' after the storm blew out the power in Albufeira and the little generator powered the music stuff for the 'Music Night' groups in our bar. Rest of town was dark. O.K. The beer got warmer, but nobody cared.
    Sadly, it is not listed on Mases' website.
    A
    It was actually quite quiet, but the also sold a version with a cover that was very quiet.
    A

pvb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    It was actually quite quiet, but the also sold a version with a cover that was very quiet.
    I had one of the ones in a cover! It was quiet, too. In a period of madness, I built it into the back cabin of a Westerly Pentland, with the exhaust going through a bulkhead into a cockpit locker and thence to the great outdoors. It's now in landfill - I used it as part of the rubbish to fill the inspection pit in my garage before concreting it over.

lenseman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikefleetwood View Post
    . . . . that keeps me plugging away with my Seagull, when everyone else says chuck it away!
    I think we should start a Seagull Owners Section in the YBW forum?

I have a 40 Featherweight.
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

lenseman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mattnj View Post
    . . . mmmm, think i need to look into that....any chemists around :-) . .
    VicS is your man.
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast