Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liz_I is offline Registered User

Default NEW THREAD RE: Anchoring, Menorca

Sorry about the shout.

We are back in port having received am alarming phone call from friends in Mahon.
    If anyone has up to date information I would be more than happy to hear it.

Cala Tuelara. Last year a line of bouys was laid to define the channel for the tripper boats. Apparently this year they have been moved to take up appx half the cala. the 'police' have been issuing notes stating that anchoring is restricted to 3 days maximum. There is no anchoring allowed around La Plana.

We have shelved our plans to spend the summer in Mahon/Menorca, which we have done for the past few years on the receipt of this advise.

If there is anyone in Menorca at this moment I would be very happy to receive up to date info.
    When the love of power becomes the power of love then there will be peace in the world.

We were there 2 weeks ago - no problems anchoring in Cala Taulera. We anchored there last year and it is exactly the same this year. Yes there are buoys laid in the channel but it doesn't restrict (sensible) anchoring.

I heard some rumours from the CA (Ģ120 p/a) about this but it is b**lox!

Enjoy life on the hook!

The info we received was from friends who were in the cala on Tuesday. This is obviously a very new regulation presumably bought in for the 'high season'. We know that as of 2 weeks ago everything was 'as normal' hence the need for very up to date information.
    When the love of power becomes the power of love then there will be peace in the world.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMac View Post

I heard some rumours from the CA (Ģ120 p/a) about this but it is b**lox!
    CA doesn't do 'rumours', and has published no information on Mahon in the last 5 months, so perhaps it's someone else who's talking bo**ox.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Terrymac,

An apology due. CA did publish rumours this winter that anchoring in Cala Tuelada may be banned during this year. It was made clear that these were only rumours . . .

Sorry about that.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Default Mahon

Mahon has changed completely in the last 5 or 6 years. The "funcionarios" who get paid by the Govern Balears for making up these pathetic rules are the real problem. What they donīt realise is all these boats anchored for free in Taulera are spending money elsewhere in the port. In my opinion Mahon has become unfriendly and overpriced (I always sail over at least twice a year to Menorca), and have noticed this happening. The place was quiet last year also.
    Beware the bread delivery guy in his RIB that he canīt control...scratches my topsides everytime..maybe they donīt do sea schools in Albania because he needs one !
    Unfortunately the same thing is happening in Fornells. Since time began you could just go in and drop the hook for the whole summer if you felt like it...now 3 days max on a buoy.
    Addaya seems still to be uncontrolled regarding anchoring. At least thankfully for the moment.

Like others we left Cala Tuelada about 10 days ago after spending 2 weeks at anchor there, we had no problems and were not aware of any charges about to be levied.

A lot of anchorages we had used in the past weren't available to to an aggressive over use of swimmer bouys. We could get into Cala 'n Porta at all, Cala Cantutells was blocked off, Cala Covas was full!!!! Cala Macarella was bouyed well off shore.

I have a very soft spot for Menorca but as it stands its been bouyed to death for some obscure reason. Has anybody else found this a problem?

Check the price of the bread before you buy, little B'stad charged me 11€ for 2 loaves of bread and a litre of milk, also charged some friends 8€ for a loaf and litre of milk. I'll agree he can't drive a RIB either!
    Last edited by Ariadne; 03-07-10 at 17:21.
    Drinking rum and playing music with my friends.

Default Mahon Anchoring

I thought I'd put a new thread up about this yesterday - obviously it failed. We were in Teuleda yesterday and were visited by a chap in a Port Police RIB, who told us we had to leave, as anchoring was only permitted in the Cala if there were no vacancies available in any of the marinas in Mahon OR if the weather was such that you needed to seek shelter. Whatever the cause, there was a 3 day maximum stay.
    There was a German chap there who had organised a petition to go to the Mayor and the local paper but don't hold your breath. We decided that if they didn't want us to anchor there, then we'd go elsewhere and spend our money. We're now at anchor in Fornells, where there has been no atempt to move us on to a buoy and we're but one of a fair number of boats at anchor here.
    Ah well, at least the sun is shining and there's cold beer in the fridge.
    Last edited by duncan99210; 03-07-10 at 19:48. Reason: Bad spelling!

This thread was started on July 1st and at that time I asked for confirmation. Didn't realize that you'd not seen it Assumed the new thread was in answer.

Anyway have a great time!

Roaring Girl is offline Registered User
    Location : On the boat. But sadly right now she's in Malta while we try and earn money in the UK.

Our friends, Mike and Linda on the US flagged yacht Aquila are in Mahon and sent us, at our request, the following info about the situation:

It's true. All of us who are anchored in Cala Teulera were given a notice "You Are Anchored In A Forbidden Area - You Must Leave This Place and Contact The Different Mooring Companies in Mahon Harbour". This notice included a color-coded map indicating which mooring company to call. There are NO open anchorages anywhere in the entire harbour. The map shows Cala Teulera as a restricted anchoring area only allowed if all the marinas, pontoons and moorings are full, and only for 3 days max.

We contacted Marina Port Mahon and they charge 224 EU per night for our 15 meter boat! We contacted Ocibar S'altre Banda who handle the moorings and pontoons along the northern side of the harbor, as well as Isla Del Rey. They said they could put us on a pontoon in Cala Llonga for a reduced rate because it doesn't have any water. It is apparently under repair. The cost is 53 EU per night, plus tax. BUT they have to charge for 10 days tax, even if you only stay one day. So the first night would cost 104 EU. 10 days would cost 583 EU. Again this is for a 15 meter boat.

A couple of boats got the notice yesterday, but we got the notice today (Friday 2 July). Some of the boats left, some of us stayed, and several new boats arrived today. There are about 20 boats anchored here now. There is constant turnover here in this anchorage, so I don't know how they plan to enforce this. One of the full-timers here wrote a letter of protest and collected all our signatures on a petition that he is delivering on Monday.

They go on to comment

It's outrageous that we are being FORCED to pay if we want to stay. This anchorage is completely remote and not hurting anyone. There is no reason for them to do this except to pad their own pockets. They will ultimately just lose all of the business we bring to the restaurants, grocery stores, chandleries and tourism industry. It's a crock.

Hope this info helps anyone thinking of visiting!
    Pip & Sarah (formerly abigail)
    www.sailblogs.com/member/roaringgirl