Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! a good idea

14 87.50%
  • I don`t know and I don`t care!

0 0%
  • Morrisons is ok! (I like the walk)

1 6.25%
  • I use my inflateable and scramble up the bank!

1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ely Pontoon

After my recent visit to Milford Haven I have arrived at the conclusion that any pub within 1/4 of mile from the high water line should be compelled to provide a pontoon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMischief View Post
    After my recent visit to Milford Haven I have arrived at the conclusion that any pub within 1/4 of mile from the high water line should be compelled to provide a pontoon :-)
    Free of charge for customers would be a good idea! including overnight mooring to sober up...

Not sure if anyone has noticed.... there are now boats on Oscars' Pontoons!

Glad he managed to win his fight in court!

Well done Oscar!

Default Tesco/Oystercatcher pontoon.

Brilliant idea -doesn't anyone in the H. authority,Tesco or Oystercatcher read these things?

wakeup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Freshbreeze View Post
    Not sure if anyone has noticed.... there are now boats on Oscars' Pontoons!

Glad he managed to win his fight in court!

Well done Oscar!
    What, who and where are Oscar's pontoons?

Quote Originally Posted by wakeup View Post
    What, who and where are Oscar's pontoons?
    From my understanding, Oscar bought the pontoon that is just up river from Cardiff Marina.

He then added a length of plastic floating pontoon to the original wooden pontoon. This is when the neighbours must have complained!

I heard the complaints were based on the view of the river being obstructed by boats! (the home owners said they bought the properties for the view of the river, and they do not want any boats traveling up or down the river - let alone mooring!) Well, if Oscar needed any further backing to his court case (which was to get 'planning' for the proposed plans of the pontoons to take boats - what else are pontoons for?!) I know quite a lot of us boaties would have backed him! The pontoons at present do not have electric or water, however the fees are cheaper than Cardiff Marina and Penarth Marina.

He has obviously won his court case, as a few weeks ago I walked up to the pontoons en-route to force 4, and boats are now moored there - and there was no space left for any more!

There is a picture of the pontoon on this thread.

Hope this helps,

Freshbreeze.

note - if anyone knows different to my understanding, please post on this thread. I have followed Oscars' story since he first extended the pontoon. The information published above is based on what I have found out and understand.

There have been other rumours going around about this pontoon, including a rumour that the owner had gone bust! - This as I understand is not true, but just a false rumour!

Ok i've seen the pontoons recently and assumed they were temporary and to do with the harbour authority, is Oscar the newest marina operator in the bay then? I wonder where his customers park their cars when going to the boats on this pontoon?

Quote Originally Posted by wakeup View Post
    Ok i've seen the pontoons recently and assumed they were temporary and to do with the harbour authority, is Oscar the newest marina operator in the bay then? I wonder where his customers park their cars when going to the boats on this pontoon?
    From what I can see and hear, yes - Oscar is the newest marina operator!

I know there is very limited parking near the pontoon, but only enough for up to 5 or 6 cars! As far as I am aware, there is no 'allocated' parking for the pontoons.

Also I have heard that you cannot do any major work to vessels whilst on the pontoons! Not so bad I guess!

I think the Pontoon was originally owned by CHA, to then be sold to Oscar. However, I cannot say for certain who was the owner of the pontoons before Oscar. I have never asked! Does anyone know??????

If it is any use, I vote 'I use my inflateable and scramble up the bank!' on the poll, but that was prior to the bridge! Although I do think a pontoon for shoppers is a fantastic idea!

I am surprised that some enterprising fellow hasn't put in a fuel pontoon, taking fuel lines from tescos under the road...