Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    RobHom is offline Registered User

Default Any members here with Perkins 6.354's??

I have a "Gulfstar 44' Trawler" with two 6.354's and I have a few questions I would like to ask of someone on your side of the pond regarding these engines...

Thanks!!

Rob

What do you want to know about these motors?

I've been running and maintaining a pair for 8 years.

yep..run apair(175hp)
    best engine ever built.....

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

2 x flat 145s. Huge, solid, proof, so far, against my ineptitude.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Ah good, I am happy to see that there are other Perkins 6.354 owners here...

I have some questions, and while I may not remember them all at once, I hope you won't mind my asking and hopefully you will share your knowledge with me.

The engines in my boat are vintage 1977 according to the serial numbers and they are "naturals" without turbo's.... Both engines run well, and I have had to do little other than maintenance on them... Well, that is beyond the fact that I had to replace both wet manifolds and wet elbows since none were available in North America...and purportedly they are no longer manufactured by Perkins.... I had the new ones custom made out of stainless steel....

My first question is: Do you and have you always stayed with single weight diesel grade motor oil? Do you use a particular brand over another for particular reasons?

Second: I have done some reading and it would seem that conventional wisdom indicates that it is not a wise thing to use a synthetic oil in this engines, do you agree?

Sorry it took me this long to get back.... My current position requires a lot of travel and I can't always get on line....

Thanks,

Rob

i use the old style minreal oil's.
    i get it from a local tractor place near to were i am.
    glad to here yet another vintage old perkin's engine is still going strong..
    and mine are 1972...

Thanks for the reply! Both of my engines are doing very well....in fact (knock on wood)...we haven't had a bit of mechanical problem with either engine and both engines are well over 6000 hours... Both hour meters failed around the 6K mark...

I have the original manuals for the engines, and they recommend staying with a straight 30 weight or 40 weight diesel grade oil depending on the ambient general temperature where you are living/boating... I imagine that I will stay with the single viscosity oil.... but I have been tempted to try a multi-viscosity oil like Shell Rotella 20W-50W.....but then again I hate to fool with what works... I'm not the kind to try and reinvent the wheel....

The only thing I have really had to do to the engines was replace the wet exhaust manifolds and wet elbows....one of them clogged up completely, and so I dismantled them....and ordered replacements.... I don't know about the availability in Europe, but the wet manifolds and elbows aren't available in North America...and I was told that Perkins no longer made them....so I had to turn to "after-market"....and here is a picture of the stainless steel manifolds and elbows....which strangely enough cost me only about half as much as the cast irons would have The manifolds and elbows are made to order by Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, in Foley Alabama...
    Attached Images Attached Images

look's like they did a nice job!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobHom View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Both of my engines are doing very well....in fact (knock on wood)...we haven't had a bit of mechanical problem with either engine and both engines are well over 6000 hours... Both hour meters failed around the 6K mark...

I have the original manuals for the engines, and they recommend staying with a straight 30 weight or 40 weight diesel grade oil depending on the ambient general temperature where you are living/boating... I imagine that I will stay with the single viscosity oil.... but I have been tempted to try a multi-viscosity oil like Shell Rotella 20W-50W.....but then again I hate to fool with what works... I'm not the kind to try and reinvent the wheel....

The only thing I have really had to do to the engines was replace the wet exhaust manifolds and wet elbows....one of them clogged up completely, and so I dismantled them....and ordered replacements.... I don't know about the availability in Europe, but the wet manifolds and elbows aren't available in North America...and I was told that Perkins no longer made them....so I had to turn to "after-market"....and here is a picture of the stainless steel manifolds and elbows....which strangely enough cost me only about half as much as the cast irons would have The manifolds and elbows are made to order by Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, in Foley Alabama...
    Rob,

Mark at MESA is 100% good guy and ships to Europe.

My pals at Perkins agreed that back in the late 50's engineers at Peterborough must have been on drugs when they adopted raw water cooling for the exhaust manifold.

#1 On turbocharged versions of the engine vital heat energy was robbed from the turbo by low seawater ambients.
    #2 Running seawater though hot exhaust manifold resulted in a major component with a finite life. I have original Royal Navy approval tests on file, engine passed with flying colours, but even back then the raw manifold attacted adverse comment. When the guys had a chance to give the 6.354. Dot 4 a total redesign the used a far more common sense manifold in the engine coolant curcuit, except they came up with poision pill of the Manicooler!
    #3 You can re-plumb the T6.354 to a more sensible configuration by putting manifold in the coolant flow, however turbo engines tend to overheat due to lack of heat exchanger capacity. Does little to save manifold as corrosion is usually well advanced. Mark at MESA has got it taped with his fabricated stainless versions. MESA once did some custom Cummins manifolds for me which did 1,147.6 knots. Fastest marine manifolds ever!
    Owner was Concorde captain who brought them back as hand luggage!

As to lubes, posters here would probably not understand U.S. obsession with single weight lubricants. You would be far better served with modern 15W40 additive pack which is far kinder to Perkins mushroom tappets. Synthetic lubes do squat all for you.
    Last edited by Latestarter1; 17-07-10 at 20:55.