Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 266
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boat: Temple
    Posts
    710

    Default River restaurant reviews

    I thought this might be a good thread to start. I will post a reply on Marlow which I know well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Boat: Temple
    Posts
    710

    Default Marlow restaurants

    Maliks
    Sequel to the Cookham restaurant. Very good Indian but small premises. Booking a good idea.

    Compleat Angler
    A compleat waste. Expensive and terrible service.

    Marlow Bar and Grill
    Good reliable bistro food. Can get busy and a bit slow.

    Pachanga
    Really good Mexican and associated drinks.

    Thai Square
    Quiet thai restaurant but with good food and service. Part of the chain.

    Two Brewers
    Under very good new ownership. Nice bar and solid, if not exactly inspired, food.

    Zizzi's
    Same as every other Zizzi's in universe.

    Villa D'este
    Apparently good food but walked out last time as service was so appalling. Avoid.

    Hand and Flowers
    Nice food but slow and in my experience poor service. Expensive for the experience.

    The Cheerful Soul in The Hare and Hounds
    Preferred it under previous owner. Big revamp after Blanc acquired, service a bit patchy. Been empty when we have been recently.

    Tiger Cub
    Another good Indian but food not quite as good as Maliks IMHO. That said, easier to get in.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jecuk View Post
    I thought this might be a good thread to start. I will post a reply on Marlow which I know well.
    Race you to mentioning the two brewers in st peter st, which if I had to pick a favourite in marlow would be it.

    Excellent service without being stuffy, nice pub, good beer, excellent food, menu changes with the seasons. Not cheap pub grub though it is a restaurant with restaurant prices, but not much is cheap in marlow.

    You can nose a small boat into the gap beside the slipway at the end of st peter st, or walk from the 24hr envag mooring just below the lock.

    The slipway btw is the site of the old marlow bridge, the wooden one before the iron one was built.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Race you to mentioning the two brewers in st peter st, which if I had to pick a favourite in marlow would be it.
    damn you beat me you must have had a head start - interesting you don't rate it as much as me just shows everyone thinks differently about restaurants.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jecuk View Post
    Maliks
    Sequel to the Cookham restaurant. Very good Indian but small premises. Booking a good idea.

    Compleat Angler
    A compleat waste. Expensive and terrible service.

    Marlow Bar and Grill
    Good reliable bistro food. Can get busy and a bit slow.

    Pachanga
    Really good Mexican and associated drinks.

    Thai Square
    Quiet thai restaurant but with good food and service. Part of the chain.

    Two Brewers
    Under very good new ownership. Nice bar and solid, if not exactly inspired, food.

    Zizzi's
    Same as every other Zizzi's in universe.

    Villa D'este
    Apparently good food but walked out last time as service was so appalling. Avoid.

    Hand and Flowers
    Nice food but slow and in my experience poor service. Expensive for the experience.

    The Cheerful Soul in The Hare and Hounds
    Preferred it under previous owner. Big revamp after Blanc acquired, service a bit patchy. Been empty when we have been recently.

    Tiger Cub
    Another good Indian but food not quite as good as Maliks IMHO. That said, easier to get in.
    an excellent list.

    I'd add the prince of wales pub
    a pub with decent thai food served by thai people- opposite the tiger cub.

    As an off the wall addendum, there is a chinese takeaway in the coach and horses pub. Proper beer while you wait for your chinese food, which is fine and the same as every other half decent chinese takaway.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Maliks will deliver to the boat. Very good food and not your usual 'Indian fare' smothered in sauce. Sit on the rear deck by Marlow weir with a good curry - highly recommended

    Compleat Angler is a MacDonald Hotel. Avoid

    Marlow Bar & Grill thinks it is better than it is. Average and slow service. Poor 'Sunday Roast'. Average

    Bel and The Dragon in Cookham - food all day and good garden at rear. Decent service - you can order drinks at the table. Linen napkins and clean cutlery makes all the difference. Good food and interesting menu although a bit hit and miss with execution

    The Ferry, Cookham - on this thread before for all the wrong reasons. Arrogant and poor service. Survives purely on position alone. Avoid

    The Barge at Harleyford - Quite good food let down by very slow service (one hour wait for three breakfasts) on a quiet Saturday. Poor 'machine coffee' as per petrol stations. Haven't returned.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK -Berks
    Posts
    9,586

    Default

    BBQ at Ashmount. Had one there tonight with the Swan Uppers, excellent steaks, top Bangers and all goodies afterwards including Brandy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ked into poverty by children
    Posts
    8,517

    Default

    La Tasca at Kingston.

    Not too bad at all for a semi chain of tapas places, good portions and decent service. If I was running the place I'd make damn sure that pontoon outside had some useable mooring fittings.

    Wier Hotel just up from SUnbury Lock
    Beer usually reasonably kept and they had some very pretty barmaids last time I was there. Food is eyewateringly expensive for a pub (but can be very good). Gets alarmingly busy when the weather is fine.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    BBQ at Ashmount. Had one there tonight with the Swan Uppers, excellent steaks, top Bangers and all goodies afterwards including Brandy.

    Are they open for reservations? LOL

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Any reviews for Boulters Restaurant & Bar, also the new moorings look good, is there plenty of depth and do they make an overnight charge for these

    Chill
    You dont need eyes to see you need vision.

Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to