Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brayman View Post
    Spent two nights in Marlow last week and having read in a recent CAMRA magazine that the Chequers had re-opened thought we'd give it a try. It now tops our list for Marlow, especially as our second night was spent in our previous favourite, the Two Brewers.

The Chequers is a speciality steak restaurant where they have the meat on show and you pick which cut and what size before they cook it for you. The fish dishes were good too. It's only been open three weeks so some of the staff are a bit green, others are top notch.

Afraid Boulters lost out because their restaurant isn't open Tuesday evenings, just as well as we would have been even more drenched if we'd made it down there.

After the Chequers, the Two Brewers was disappointing.
    Now there's interesting. I wonder how they would cope with my propensisty for eating my steak raw if I can get it that way. Failing that, break its horns off, wipe its backside and walk it through a warm room. The best steaks I have ever had were cooked at, indeed on, a forge.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayman View Post
    The Chequers is a speciality steak restaurant where they have the meat on show and you pick which cut and what size before they cook it for you. The fish dishes were good too. It's only been open three weeks so some of the staff are a bit green, others are top notch.
    After your earlier recommendation we tried to book a table for last Saturday night but at noon they were already fully booked unless we were prepared to eat after 9pm so will have to wait for another day.

Finished up going to Thai Square but not impressed - since when has Pud Thai been made with orange/red noodles ?

On the way back down river on Sunday passed through Boulters at lunch time and was interested to see Louis Philippe (Bates StarCraft 40' long with a draft of 3'10" ) turn out of the lock into the weir stream and then make a longish turn back onto the Boulters jetty so there is obviously more water there than I had appreciated. Looking forward to seeing what its like after the dredging has been done later this month.

On the way back down river on Sunday passed through Boulters at lunch time and was interested to see Louis Philippe (Bates StarCraft 40' long with a draft of 3'10" ) turn out of the lock into the weir stream and then make a longish turn back onto the Boulters jetty so there is obviously more water there than I had appreciated. Looking forward to seeing what its like after the dredging has been done later this month.[/QUOTE]

We go in there regularly with Louis Phillipe. There is a shallow spot extending about half way up the jetty ( from the downstream end ) and say 30 feet into the weir stream. Coming in on a longish turn proves no problem. However, also looking forward to being fully dredged.

Mixed review for Oakley court hotel. The setting is beautiful, the service is excellent (they even moved one of their posh hire launches so we could get in - a large portion of the riverfront is quite shallow. They'll let you use the jetty if draft is an issue, too) but the food was terrible. The ingredients seemed very good, but it was slow in arriving and stone cold. Didn't send it back cos we were starving after waiting so long. The jazz band were good, and the staff accomodating, even tho we are blatantly not posh (jeans and t shirt). It's a superb place for afternoon drinkies on lawn watching the river traffic meander by, but I won't eat there again.

Default Shillingford Bridge Hotel

We moored here Wednesday night and payed our £10 mooring fee to reception we were able to plug into the electric but not all the points were working so a long lead may be required.
    We ate in thr Riverside Restaurant which was not very busy (only 4 other tables) the food and service was excellent the three of us had starters mains and two had pudding including drinks at the bar before, a round during the meal and a bottle of red the bill came to £94. I was pleased to see on the bill they had taken off our £10 mooring fee.
    I asked if they still do a dinner and dance but this is off at the moment due to lack of trade but if we could make a booking of 20 people they would lay on music.

Chill aka no name
    You dont need eyes to see you need vision.

We ate in The Bull at Sonning last night. One of the best meals I have had in recent times.

Loch Fynne in Henley was impressive on Tuesday.

The Green Olive in Windsor is a cracking Greek place.

All the above are short walks from public moorings.

Tonight we are being brave and sampling the Bray Brasserie.... Or at least, my wallet is being brave!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavi View Post
    We ate in The Bull at Sonning last night. One of the best meals I have had in recent times.

Loch Fynne in Henley was impressive on Tuesday.

The Green Olive in Windsor is a cracking Greek place.

All the above are short walks from public moorings.

Tonight we are being brave and sampling the Bray Brasserie.... Or at least, my wallet is being brave!
    How did you like Bray? We've eaten their a couple of time and been superb both times

Bray was very good and great fun to be moored nearby. I thought The Bull was better though, and half the price!

Restaurant reviews an excellent idea jecuk.

Just had a very good lunch at The Partridge Inn at Wallingford - good 'fine-dining', with two courses for £13.95 and 3 courses for £15.95. Must go back some time to try the a la carte and dinner. Very civilised, and a much easier option now that Wallingford has made boaters more welcome.

Can also recommend the the Perch & Pike at South Stoke - very good pub food and friendly atmosphere in a lovely quiet village, about 10 minutes' walk from the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysay View Post
    Restaurant reviews an excellent idea jecuk.

Can also recommend the the Perch & Pike at South Stoke - very good pub food and friendly atmosphere in a lovely quiet village, about 10 minutes' walk from the river.
    I rarely eat at the Perch & Puke even though it is my local. I have found the only thing worth having there is their Fish 'n Chips. Their quantities, especially on Roast Dinners - child's portions and they never offer Bread. Brayman eats there frequently.

My vote in this area is the Beetle & Wedge. Or if in Wallingford and you want plain value for money, The good old Hungry Horse at Crowmarsh.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast