Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Default Complete Angler

Sunday lunch

Pretty much a traditional Sunday lunch but served to perfection with an excellent choice of wine. Starter main and dessert presented well, cooked well, full of flavour and most importantly served by staff that knew their stuff.

However this is to be expected due to the nature of the hotel, the location and of course the price which was top, top end.

For a special occasion and if you can get a mooring I cannot fault it.

Default The Chequers

And this is where the wheels came off...

After a very nice lunch at the Complete Angler and far too much wine afterwards the evening came along and we were hungry once more although I suspect this was booze hunger...a pizza was all that was needed.

Off up Marlow High St - Pizza Express - full of kids but it was a Sunday B/H and there were more waiting to come in so we let them go ahead.

Off to ZiZi - rude, people pushed in, they never even asked us if we wanted to eat so we walked...over the road to The Chequers.

Not been here for years but it looks like it was recently taken over and is now a rather fine steak house, you order by weight from the cabinet and they cut it there in front of your eyes.

Having a steak was too much (after lunch) so we had a burger......

As I have said before my cheese burgers are judged in a special way usually its the last meal before boarding a plane home and I have eaten them all over the world.

The current record was a truly sensationally Cheese Burger at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach two years ago, you could not fault this, the burger, the roll, the filling, the presentation etc....I have had many in between but nothing beats this baby...until the burger at The Chequers

Again, the burger was cooked to perfection (how I wanted it), the roll was a good size and lightly toasted, the fillings were just right and a big chunk of cheddar lightly melted to finish off.

Chuck in another bottle of white and I cant tell you how much the bill was but I dont think it was that much....

I am looking forward to going back here for a decent steak and red but saving it for the winter.

Hope this helps!

Default OTT

I can concur with Richard. We ate there for my daughter's birthday some time ago and being mid week in January it was only about a quarter full but for some reason they jammed everyone in the same quarter of the restaurant and very close together. Made for a less than pleasant ambience. I thought the food was ok but SWMBO wasn't so impressed!

Default Show Boat - Harleyford

Had both an evening meal and a breakfast in there last week and thought it was very good indeed. Lovely food and good service. Wasn't expecting much but came away very pleasantly surprised. I am told the steaks were fab and can personally vouch for the morning fry up!!!

Default Chequers

Quote Originally Posted by RichardShead View Post
    And this is where the wheels came off...

Not been here for years but it looks like it was recently taken over and is now a rather fine steak house, you order by weight from the cabinet and they cut it there in front of your eyes.
    I eat there a lot being local. While service is sometimes a bit lazy, it is always friendly and the food is very good. We really like their steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Fanner View Post
    Now there's interesting. I wonder how they would cope with my propensisty for eating my steak raw if I can get it that way. Failing that, break its horns off, wipe its backside and walk it through a warm room. The best steaks I have ever had were cooked at, indeed on, a forge.
    or as my sons are sick of hearing me say 'Don't kill it twice'........which I intend to have on my brass plate after the cremation :-)
    oops.....is the water supposed to be coming in there?

Just back from a week up river:

Swan at Pangbourne
    Nice view, decent pint but food very below par pub-grub. My chicken burger turned out to be a whole grilled chicken fillet which was moist and flavoursome but the rest of what was on the plate was sad, dry and tasteless. Similar story for OH whose fish and chips had probably seen more of the inside of a freezer and a microwave than the sea.

Boat House at Wallingford
    Chain pub hard by the bridge. Thought that the new moorings at Wallingford looked so smart we should try them out if only for an hour or so. Chose the Boat House for a pint simply because of its lovely location but that unfortunately is the only good thing about it. Huge soulless cavern with Sky News on too loud. Guest beer was Black Sheep which was served so gassy as to be almost undrinkable. The menu had photographs; suffice to say we did not eat there.

The Plough at Clifton Hampden
    What a find. Proper pub - locals seem to drink there which is always a good sign - well kept beer and the bonus of a fabulous little Chinese restaurant on the side. Charming and friendly hosts, excellent food, super service; the only thing which was moderate was the bill!

Beetle and Wedge at Moulsford
    Turned up for lunch on Tuesday on spec and it was made very clear that we were very lucky to get a table (for two only) having not booked so perhaps best to call ahead even on a weekday lunchtime. Lots of local food on the menu including a very delicious Berkshire pork loin; also picked up some handy steak cooking tips from the grill chef - the secret is all in the "restaurant grade" charcoal apparently. Three courses plus wine and pudding wine and coffee came in at £120 for two which for the quality of the food I thought was very reasonable. If I was going to be picky (which of course I am) I would say that the food was slightly let down by the service, e.g. on a table of two at a reasonable restaurant I do expect the waiting staff to know whose dish is whose without having to interrupt conversation to ask (all three courses).

La Barca at Henley
    Fabulous Spanish restaurant/tapas bar next to the Hobbs booking office on the waterfront. Opened about a month ago I understand. Super staff who couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and accommodating. Food was beautifully fresh and delicately cooked. £90ish for two but £50 of that was alcohol - they keep a very fine Manzanilla....

The Chequers, Marlow
    We went to Chequers based on the recommendations in this thread and were not disappointed. Meat was perfectly cooked or should I say perfectly not cooked New Marlow favourite for sure.

Default Dog & Badger - Medmenham

Having not read this thread recently, we walked up to the Dog & Badger in Medmenham on Sat night from the moorings down Ferry Lane and joked about how it could be egg and beans on toast if the pub was closed...but it wasn't!

The new owners have only had the keys 5 weeks, but they seem to be doing a good job in their words trying to turn it back into a proper 'pub' pub with good food rather than a gastropub. They are dog friendly and child friendly (we only have the former) and even though they were sold out of the main I ordered they made one of the light bites into a main for me and it was brilliant (maybe I'm easily pleased, and small of stomach!). The OH had chicken breast, cous cous and sweet potato chips and was averagely impressed. He also had a dessert, which involved a chocolate tart...

Overall we thought it was good value for above average food, we drank Amstel so can't comment on 'proper' beer I'm afraid, but the staff were great & made us feel very welcome and we'll certainly be going back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25739174@N05/5801281757/

Emma

Had a very good meal at Chez Gerard in Henley today. Haven't been to one before, but very impressed with the food and service, spot on!

I agree, we eat there a lot and the one in Marlow as well.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast