Default Eberspacher D2 starts up but no heat!

Hi - I have searched for this problem but can find nothing similar - if I have missed a previous thread I apologise.

Anyway my 3yr old daughter kindly left the heater on programmed mode probably an hour or so per day over the winter so when I went to the boat to check up one day, the diesel had run out and obviously the heater was not on. Looking on the bright side the boat was not damp!

Ever since then I have not been able to get the heater to fire up - I have to admit to only recently trying in vain to fix the problem.

The symptoms are, when I press the controller to start it up ( it’s a 7 day digital display controller on a 2001 D2), it goes onto high speed fan immediately, no clicking of pump and does not fire up after the preheating period. (typically should be around the 3 minute mark I believe) So I get cold air coming through the ducts and it would appear that if I left it, it would run this way until the timer switches it off.

Some background is:

Typical system voltage is around 13.7volts - and that does not drop much at all during the start up cycle. This has just made me wonder if perhaps the glow plug has gone and as such this is why there is no voltage drop during start up....?

As it had run out of fuel in winter I wondered if that could be the problem, so I have checked the fuel line and sure enough it had air in it between the pump and the heater. So took the pump off and checked fuel could get to the pump which it can. This made me wonder why fuel is not being pumped to the heater. So I checked the voltage on the pump and found that when I switch the heater on I get 13.7 volts at the pump, however I do not seem to hear any clicking of the pump at all, not even once. This I assumed meant the pump was faulty. So I ordered a new pump and have found the same issue, even the new pump does not pump fuel during the start up. So clearly the pump is not faulty.

So I wondered what may be wrong and have reverted to the old pump again as it appears not to be faulty. Having read a few forums I see that to force fuel through I should momentarily on/off connect the pump to 12v to get it to pump fuel through, after doing this and bleeding to the input of the heater I think I now have fuel at the heater.

I tried the start up again and sure enough I just get the same old start up of high speed fan etc… no clicking of pump and no heat after the start up sequence. So no further forward really.

The interesting thing (if any of this is interesting!) is during the start up when I get 13.7v on the pump connector if move the plug on and off the pump even then it does not click or pump anything. However if I take another lead to the pump and connect directly the a battery then I get the clicking of the solenoid in the pump and a little squirt of fuel. So I wonder why when the lead from the heater is connected and I start up the heater and I get 13.7v on the pump connector I do not get any clicking and fuel being pumped. Not knowing how the fuel metering works on these heaters I am a bit lost!

Anyway I am getting stuck for ideas…. Any help would be much appreciated. Also does anyone have servicing instructions for these units?

Many thanks in advance….

Jonathan

It is difficult to follow your explanation sitting in front of a computer, but one thing you do not mention is the filter in the fuel line. My heater stopped working when this became blocked and if you emptied the tank of diesel you undoubtedly got whatever muck was in the tank drawn through. I would check this before looking elsewhere.

Sad to say this sounds like a very common ECU problem!! I have a large number of D2 ECUs which have failed and half of them have that same sympton ( fan on at high speed on start up)
    I suppose that you have let it run for a few minutes? sometimes if the heater has stopped due to a fuel problem there may be an initial high speed run to urge any residual fuel in the chamber, the normal start up process may then begin.
    If it is the common ECU problem then you can try removing the red/grey lead from the switch or timer ( this breaks the internal thermostat circuit) The heater may then work;
    unfortunatly this may only be a short term success and the heater may revert to the old fault.
    You should check all the usual componants glow pin flame/temp sensor ( just their resistance)
    If you have no success then you can PM me and send the ECU for me to test ( just a nominal charge and postage)
    Point for all when sending ECUs (or heaters) for testing mark the ECU so that you can be sure to get the right one back!!
    Good luck

Richard makes a good point but in the blocked fuel pipe case the heater would still try to start up and start to pump but then fail due to no fuel.

Sorry for the third post, try www.espar.com for the manual!

Many thanks for the input folks - I shall check for a fuel filter but to be honest I am pretty sure there is not one in the line anywhere, hence probably why I didnt mention one. I expect I should fit one.

With regards the ECU you may well be right - I shall try the wire disconnect you mentioned and see where we go from there....

Thanks again

There is a small filter built into the pump. You have confirmed that fuel will squirt out of the pump when you 'pulse' 12 volts directly to the pump so I wouldnt worry about it.
    Your 'as new' pump can be sold on ebay (against the cost of an ECU I fear!!)

Default Eberspacher fault finding

Dont think it would be fuel related.
    D2 normally starts slowly after doing basic checks, see the fault pages at www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk for details and a lot of diagnostic tests

Have you tried removing all power from it? (i.e. timer & 'main' supplies).

Our D2 'locks out'[1] if it doesn't start twice (?) in a row and needs to have *all* power removed from it for a few seconds to reset it. Pulling the main fuse alone doesn't work because the timer is fed from elsewhere and seems to keep the 'brain' alive. Pulling both main & timer fuses resets it OK.

0.02p

Andy

edit: [1] = no attempt to start, just the fan running indefinitely almost immediately after switching it on.
    Last edited by misterg; 27-06-11 at 19:13.
    No boat no more...

Hello,
    I had the same problem recently (D1LC) though and like you the unit went straight onto ventilation mode from start up. Turned out to be the flame sensor which I checked the resistance of with a mega (disconnected) Cost 50 odd quid
    Colin.