Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Please help us with your reports

Having been beach side recently, I was horrified at the amount of litter dumped and smashed bottles just ready for little feet and hands to get cut up on.

I can only imagine that a lot of this gets swept out to sea and thus begins to spread the litter.

Why not further alert Councils to this problem as they have recnetly introduced the £50 on the spot litter fine (smokers beware with your fag-ends), an on the beach patrol could be quite financially viable for them and clear up this mess

<hr width=100% size=1>

Agreed. This is a real problem around the Portland in-shore passage, and often they are just below the surface.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jerbro
    ====
    Click here for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.btinternet.com/~jerbro> My ex-boat pics</A>

Our boat was delivered professionally from Hamble to Weymouth in early May. Skipper fouled stbd prop 3 miles from Weymouth. Limped back and commissioned diver to remove net from prop. It was rather nasty looking thick green net - more like cargo netting than fishing net. Rope cutters would not have helped. It was approx 18 inches square.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jerbro
    ====
    Click here for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.btinternet.com/~jerbro> My ex-boat pics</A>

Twice at the top of the Alderney Race! First time was a huge sheet of polythene and the second it was a stray fishing net. It took three days to get back to Cowes that time. We have had a lobster pot off Treguier and also one in the Helford River. The other day I caught a black satin shirt round the prop up by The Folly!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Sail the Se7en seas...

Not on a yacht, but, two weeks ago I was on the SeaCat coming out of Dieppe when we got 'something' entangled in the prop. We went astern for 20 minutes to try and free it but in the end we crossed on three engines and the divers went down in Newhaven to sort it out. Not sure what the final conclusion was nor if it was reportable.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    We wunt be druv!

I came through the Needles Channel again on Tuesday 19th August after the Fastnet race and the same bloody 5 gallon blue chemical pot markers still litter the channel. I also saw a fishing boat laying pots with orange markers all around the Hurst narrows. I am sure someone has already thought of this but it would be interesting to know how many call outs the RNLI have for fouled props/rudders/keels etc and indeed what the insurance companies have to say about it.
    I really hope the information/concerns/experiences mentioned in this forum add weight to any lobbying for change because it's quite clear that we ALL share the same general concern that a rogue lobster pot will either cost us a great deal or still worse lead to a serious accident.

All that any of us seems to be asking for is responsible and marked laying of pots. I am sure that once a yotty or power boater (for once we are united) sues someone for recklessly laying a pot the plague will go into remission. For myself I have absolutely no hesitation in saying that if in the future I snag a pot and sustain damage I will as a racing certainty sue the b*****d that layed it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default East Looe Channel

On passage from the Solent to brighton i went through the east Looe Channel to the North of the Owers. This is marked by two buoys less than 100 metres apart. sure enough some nice fisherman had got two floats, marking his pots or whatever in the centre of the channel.

to make matters worse going from Brighton to cherbourg I picked up a football sized lump of discarded netting around my prop.

Regards

Chrios Stannard

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard
    Chris Stannard

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Default Heard on Ch 16

this weekend, yacht with rope fouling prop requesting assistance 4 miles south of Portland Bill. Probably hairy enough (situation, not the rope) but on a day with some real breeze it could have been disasterous.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Hi Kim!
    My recent incidents involving a cargo net (port engine prop and shaft) on the 26th of august 2003 and a plastic bag ( starboard engine intake filter) on the 27th occured within approximately 10 miles of each other (Mid English channel on route to Hornfleur from Brighton)

Cargo net 05.12N 00.03.W ( Bright green polyprop)
    Polybag 05.02.09N 01.02W (white no markings)

Regards
    Rob

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rejuvanu.com>RejuVanu</A>

I can agree with all the notes about the Christchurch ledge, this area being on my back door, as I go down to Poole a lot. I'd estimate generally 20-30 tiny black bouys, but most of which disappear and lie .5 metre below the surface on a spring high (and as Christchurch harbour is so shallow, that's when the traffic is highest frequency). I have an outdrive so I'm not that worried, but I've made a few night passages, and know it's only a matter of time before I pick one up.

Surely is isn't that hard to buy some orange markers instead of black balls that you can't see easily even in the daytime? The point in one of the earlier posts about the small black bouys looking like swimmer's heads is very real - I've cut the throttles quite a few times as I've thought I've seen a swimmer off hengistbury head - and there was a swimmer killed 2 weeks ago outside bournemouth swimming zone - maybe the skipper thought it was a lobster pot marker..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast