Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Good idea nm

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Living on boat in Southsea Marina until tenants leave house

Default Re: Plus a crash helmet?

I like that idea. I shall get one. It will also stop my head going a bright shade of anti-fouling blue.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Living on boat in Southsea Marina until tenants leave house

Default Re: Please help us with your reports

I have just remembered another one. About 4 years ago, we had just started a race off the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour (we were outside the main channel, I promise). Great start, best of the series and we were leading for once. Two minutes later speed drops to nothing, steering unresponsive, us scratching our heads with nothing obvious over the side. The rest of the fleets slides by grinning at us. Took 5 minutes of flopping about before we started moving again and a marker pops up behind. We were v cross. Finished second last.

<hr width=100% size=1>

I fished and sailed at different times and yes I have caught lines and once the rope cutter failed to deal with it and we had to be towed in, but big deal.

I have had gear dragged by other vessels that cost me money and caused some difficulty in recovering it- rising sea, gear full of rocks. I am sure that some people have had worse experiences, damage to boats, injury to crew even, which should be avoided whenever possible I accept.

But it is rather predictable how this line of enquiry was going to go: Sailing folk having a go at fishing folk - it risks not being very constructive.

There will be gear in the water and at night it is hard to spot so be prepared for the fact and do not go overboard to clear it unless you know what you are doing and sail a vessel that is designed for the possibility - even if that means not winning the round the island race.

Eat more fish, but give a though to the individual who hauled it, he got paid very little for it. Instead of complaining of gear at sea why not complain to the supermarket about the price gap between the amount you paid and the few penny's paid for the catch then maybe the fisherman could afford new gear.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Don't think that anyone is saying that you may not fish. Just do it with due diligence. Mark this appropriately and there will be no issue.

<hr width=100% size=1>

We had a whole collection of debris off Bayona Spain, on a very dangerous coastline, most seemed to be net, buty had afloat attached.
    My thoughts are similar to other precautions for safety. For instance if you use a cooker you carry a fire extinguisher, if you choose to rely on a motor for safety you fit a rope cutter. New cutters are being developed all the time for all types of drive, our problem however wouldn't have been helped by a cutter as the net had fouled the folding blades and they wouldn't unfold!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: SELSEY - LITTLEHAMPTON

OBSERVED YESTERDAY 27/08/06:
    At W end of Looe Channel, 2-3 small round seaweed-covered floats.
    Off Bognor: several lines of small inconspicuous floats presumably supporting long nets.
    CJH

fouled both props between St. Vaast and Le Havre last summer. long runs of floating line between unmarked black pot bouys which I saw too late. Too lumpy to go over the side (how often IS this a good idea?) Eventually broke free after shunting up and down and limped into Le Havre on one engine where I got a lift out to have it all cut off. This was on a direct and obvious transit between cardinal markers off Point Barfleur. Totally irresponsible.
    Genuine Antique 17th - 19th century Sea Charts at www.lindisfarneprints.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678