Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default Sailing to Ireland.

    Following a recent passage to Ireland I am amazed at how much good quality cruising is available westwards of Lands End and the British Isle.

    We often hear about sailing across the English Channel and cruising clubs to France and the Channel Islands but rarely about a similar passage or organised event to Southern Island.

    So would anyone be interested in taking part in an organised cruise to Southern Ireland in the summer of 2011?

  2. #2
    AngusMcDoon's Avatar
    AngusMcDoon is offline Registered User
    Location : I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    Following a recent passage to Ireland I am amazed at how much good quality cruising is available westwards of Lands End and the British Isle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_isles

    Mostly sea

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    Thanks for the informative link, I had no idea that Ireland was classed as part of the British Islands. In geographic terms.

  4. #4
    galadriel's Avatar
    galadriel is offline Registered User
    Location : Chichester Harbour
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,090

    Default

    I did a non stop trip from Portsmouth to Cork a few years ago, helping a friend get his boat there for the summer. There is a lot of distance to cover before you get to Lands End for us. But I agree, there is something very special when you put Longships lighthouse in the distance astern.

    Cruising Southern Ireland, the East Coast of Ireland and the West Coast of Scotland is something I have a greater desire to do than Crossing 'the pond'.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    I did a non stop trip from Portsmouth to Cork a few years ago, helping a friend get his boat there for the summer. There is a lot of distance to cover before you get to Lands End for us. But I agree, there is something very special when you put Longships lighthouse in the distance astern.

    Cruising Southern Ireland, the East Coast of Ireland and the West Coast of Scotland is something I have a greater desire to do than Crossing 'the pond'.
    I couldn't agree with you more, when ever I have left Longships astern I can't help having a feeling of foreboding..

    The western coasts are fantastic, we could organise a fleet to travel down the South Coast meeting other yachts a strategic points along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    AngusMcDoon's Avatar
    AngusMcDoon is offline Registered User
    Location : I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    Thanks for the informative link, I had no idea that Ireland was classed as part of the British Islands. In geographic terms.
    England, Britain, United Kingdom, Great Britain, British Isles, Northern Ireland, Ulster, Ireland...all terms designed to confuse the Yanks and annoy the Celts

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    England, Britain, United Kingdom, Great Britain, British Isles, Northern Ireland, Ulster, Ireland...all terms designed to confuse the Yanks and annoy the Celts
    With a great deal of success...haha!

  8. #8
    hlb's Avatar
    hlb is offline Registered User
    Location : Any Pub Lancashire or Wales
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    26,497

    Default

    Superb sailing round the South and East Coast of Ireland. Many harbours and little distance between. Very small tides surprisingly. Infact Cortown?? has hardly any. Mind it's only about five feet deap at all times.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I sailed to Kilmore Quay, a delightful little fishing harbour. Sadly with a diminishing fishing fleet.

    The pub there does excellent meals and the Guinness is even better.

    Just of the coast there are two privately owned Islands, which are designated nature reserves. Resulting in a large variety and number of sea birds.

    The friendly welcome from the Irish is another great reason to visit the Emerald Island.

  10. #10
    AngusMcDoon's Avatar
    AngusMcDoon is offline Registered User
    Location : I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    I sailed to Kilmore Quay, a delightful little fishing harbour. Sadly with a diminishing fishing fleet.
    Just down the coast from *******stown.

    Flippin censor won't let me say it! Here, anyway...

    http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=rac...ul_information

    Bet it doesn't let me say that well known town in Austria with the unfortunate name either...****ing. Nope.

    What about the small village on the Orkneys called Twatt? Ah yes. That's ok.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •