Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Coaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    I sailed to Kilmore Quay, a delightful little fishing harbour. Sadly with a diminishing fishing fleet.
    I don't know whether the fishing fleet is diminishing or not but when we were there in September the place was stuffed. The small to medium sized fishing boats were rafted up 4 and 5 deep. When we left there were two enormous fishing boats moored in the entrance, one each side, leaving a small channel between. Thank goodness there were no other boats coming in at the same time.

I sailed over to Ireland and around the South and West Coast, In 2008 It was beautiful, Anchoring most of the time, but beware, dont ask for Guiness, Its Murphy's down in the South, but thats very nice too.
    I would love to come in my boat next year, a sail in company is certainly nicer than struggling on alone.

Sunset Aran Islands July 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So what keeps Brits away from Irish waters? Is it the distance, the cost, fear of hostility?
    One hull good, two hulls better.

colvic987 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    So what keeps Brits away from Irish waters? Is it the distance, the cost, fear of hostility?
    i used to go down the east coast from ballycastle thru to arklow, , but have not ventured that way, mostly due to high cost of overnight marina berthing since the celtic tiger collapsed.

long passages to get to south coast, (fear of hostility) you will find the complete opposite, the locals are very friendly.
    Last edited by colvic987; 22-10-10 at 16:07. Reason: clearer explaination of paragragh

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    Ah- snowleopard, the distance is nothing, no hostility, however the cost is a factor and will be until the adjustments are made here to realistic pricing. I cannot think of anywhere here you would be made to feel unwelcome- after all celtic tiger or not your money is welcome. I am sure in the cruising areas in France the same would apply.

Sgeir is offline Registered User
    Location : Loch Linnhe in the summer - Dallens Bay, Appin. Ashore at MRC, Loch Creran for this winter.

Apart from the Kinsale area and Dublin Bay, I'd guess that most of the cruising boats we saw under sail around all the coasts were British flagged. It is very popular with UK sailors (this was August 2005). Rightly so.

Re hostility, I've heard that said about the east coast, but we certainly did not experience hostility anywhere, and that includes Howth and Arklow on the east side. Everyone we had contact with was unfailingly helpful and friendly. The red ensign worn with an Irish courtesy flag caused us no problem.
    Ω

No strong tides !!! Ever done Kilmore Quay to Howth - some of the strongest tides for such a long stretch of coast, but at least one tide will be with you and make sure that gets you beyond Roslare. Also the North coast of Ireland is another long tidal gate. That said going round Ireland is a really great experience and a real change from going up the West of Scotland most years.

Circumnavigation of Ireland 2009 - http://www.maloyachts.se/Default.aspx?tabid=251

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    I sailed over to Ireland and around the South and West Coast, In 2008 It was beautiful, Anchoring most of the time, but beware, dont ask for Guiness, Its Murphy's down in the South, but thats very nice too.
    I would love to come in my boat next year, a sail in company is certainly nicer than struggling on alone.
    Thank you for your interest and PM. Col-is-it is has also sent me a PM and is interested in meeting up.

I have enough interested people now to start making plans and consulting with you all.

I will keep you all posted via this forum and e-mails.

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Sailors planning to cruise the east and south coasts of Ireland may find this site of value

http://www.inyourfootsteps.com/saili...europe/ireland

Ignore the routes section. Harbours section is good.

ICC sailing directions are excellent for winter reading and passage planning.

Failte to all sailors