Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    What makes you think we stay away? But I guess it is a distance and cost issue. Even the Bristol channel to Ireland is a much more serious journey, both tide and weather wise, than say the Solent to N France, and for those based on the south coast France is always likely to appeal more. Cost wise, Ireland is very expensive these days so maybe the west coast of wales and scotland is better value?

And at the risk of irritating Irishmen everywhere, Ireland isnt really very foreign for Brits. Same language, same food.

Nevertheless, my club has an annual cruise and maybe one in every three years it goes to Ireland.
    I have sailed from Falmouth to Kilmore Quay in about Thirty Six hours, on a delivery passage. So I don't think it is that daunting.

Like sailing everywhere, good passage planning and listening to the weather forecast generally ensures success.

I have two more people interested now, who might join the Rally from the Bristol Channel area.

Why not bring your expertise along Bosun Higgs? Or round up some club members to join us.

I will produce a more detailed program in the near future.

Please keep the interest pouring in.

Default Kilmore Quay

A couple of pictures from a previous visit if anyones interested. Unlikely to be able to join you in 2011 but good wishes and drink some guinness for me . :-)

Excellent site thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    Like sailing everywhere, good passage planning and listening to the weather forecast generally ensures success. ................... Why not bring your expertise along Bosun Higgs? Or round up some club members to join us.
    Thanks for the advice. and the invite, but SWMBO prefers France and Spain. Warmer. And as for the club members, it would be easier to herd cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Thanks for the advice. and the invite, but SWMBO prefers France and Spain. Warmer. And as for the club members, it would be easier to herd cats.
    But they don't do Guinness, at least not as well!!!

I now have Five people declaring an interest from the Bristol Channel as well as a few from the Solent.

I will try to bring everyone together in another thread, with a full program.

Thanks for the photo's Graham, wetting my appetite already.

I have been following this thread with interest and hope you guys have a great trip over. The way things are going here we may not be so expensive by next summer!

I can guarantee you a warm welcome, fantastic scenery and good food. (Fishy Fishy in Kinsale not to be missed). As regards weather....if you don't like it just wait a while and it will change.
    Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I have been following this thread with interest and hope you guys have a great trip over. The way things are going here we may not be so expensive by next summer!

I can guarantee you a warm welcome, fantastic scenery and good food. (Fishy Fishy in Kinsale not to be missed). As regards weather....if you don't like it just wait a while and it will change.
    Thank you for a traditional Irish welcome.

Ireland is a great sailing destination and I am sure we will be warmly welcomed.

As for the weather, I am sure it can't be much worse than ours.

Talking

August 7th suits me, can we book the good weather in plenty of time?

Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    As for the weather, I am sure it can't be much worse than ours.
    I think our rain is slightly warmer!

Stig

South Easterly and sunny on the outbound leg and South Westerly on the home leg..
    Already ordered..

Warm rain in August Stig, what more would one want?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    August 7th suits me, can we book the good weather in plenty of time?