Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Carter866 is offline Registered User

Any advancement in the planning of this trip?

I had sent a PM a while back about possibly being interested and the date seems to suit my vacation planning fairly well. I haven't seen any updates but I don't always follow the forums really closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter866 View Post
    Any advancement in the planning of this trip?

I had sent a PM a while back about possibly being interested and the date seems to suit my vacation planning fairly well. I haven't seen any updates but I don't always follow the forums really closely.
    Thank you for this posting.

The rally to Ireland has growing support, with people from the Solent to the Bristol Channel declaring an interest.

August 7th seems to be favourable to everyone who has contacted me, so I am defiantly going to organise the start of the rally from this date.

Some people with smaller yachts have also declared an interest (under 30ft), so my plan is to make the legs along the English Channel short enough for everyone to manage. Building in catch up time for slower yachts.

People will be able to join at strategic ports as the fleet travels West.
    I envisage ending the rally in Cork, from which people can either carry on exploring Ireland or return to the U.K.

I hope to put a loose itinerary together in January, upon which people can comment. Thus growing the whole trip organically, rather then provide a Fete acomplis.

I have a list of interested people now, who I will be contacting in the New Year. Anyone else who may like to join please send me a P.M

I have left the final organisation to the New Year, so it will be more relevant to everyone.

Looking forward to sailing to Ireland with you all..

cimota is offline Registered User

Love to go - but I'm already on the island!

August you say? Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by activesail View Post
    Thanks for the informative link, I had no idea that Ireland was classed as part of the British Islands. In geographic terms.
    It isn't.

'British Islands' is defined in the UK Interpretation Act, 1978 and implicitly excludes (the Republic of) Ireland.

"British Islands" means the United Kingdom, the Bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey, and the Isle of Man.

You are thinking of 'British Isles' which is a geographic term, and does include (the island of) Ireland.
    Last edited by guernseyman; 02-01-11 at 16:19.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Default Timing of Irish Trip

The rally to Ireland has growing support, with people from the Solent to the Bristol Channel declaring an interest.

August 7th seems to be favourable to everyone who has contacted me, so I am defiantly going to organise the start of the rally from this date.

Some people with smaller yachts have also declared an interest (under 30ft), so my plan is to make the legs along the English Channel short enough for everyone to manage. Building in catch up time for slower yachts.

I cruised from Burnham on Sea to Ireland in 2008 and 2009 and had 3+ weeks on the South Coast, mostly single-handed. The hardest bit is getting down channel as far as Milford Haven ! (22ft waterline, long keeled yacht)
    However - I chose May/June for the trips. Main problem was the unremitting Sunshine - I ended up having to wear large hat, long sleeves and trousers as I was getting so badly Sunburned ! July and August, however were pretty dreadful.
    I spent some time in the sailing clubs on the South Coast and the impression I got was that the locals who are serious cruising sailors enjoy a short Summer, cutting back on exposed cruising by August and later as the Winter gales can set in on the South west coast by then.
    The approach to Kilmour Quay has some challenging navigation (and expensive berthing and living costs.) Dunmore East is much more open and is far safer in anything over a f5. I found the fishing fleet there very helpful and pleasant.
    I am not sure whether I am going that way again this year. If so I shall again deliver boat to Milford Haven and moor it safely upriver until I get the weather window for Ireland.

I have been looking at the options for this trip from S Cornwall. My preferred route would be Land's End - Padstow - Lundy - Milford - Waterford outbound and Cork - Scillies inbound.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    I have been looking at the options for this trip from S Cornwall. My preferred route would be Land's End - Padstow - Lundy - Milford - Waterford outbound and Cork - Scillies inbound.
    Thank you for all your suggestions, certainly food for thought. I have sailed directly from Falmouth to Kilmore Quay last summer in a UFO 31. The sail only took 36 hours at a steady seven knots.
    A stopover in the Scillies is certainly a favoured option. I am open to all suggestions and it will be the participants who decide the ultimate route.

August has been suggested because it enables families to participate but as in any month, bad weather may occur.
    So it is up to participating yachtsmen to sail within their own ability's.

I shall publish an itinerary later this month and look forward to reading everyone's ideas and comments.

Having taken part in a couple of rallies (ARC, ARC Europe) in the past, one of the disadvantages I found was the rigid timetables which led for example to the fleet setting out into a gale forecast (without me I hasten to add). Also the smaller boats had less time to rest in port while the fast ones were wanting to get going again.

My preference would be to have a series of meeting places with 'free cruising' in between and a good comms net so we can re-schedule for e.g. weather constraints.

Some like to do short hops and short stays in a lot of places, others, me included, prefer longer legs and fewer but longer stays. Both can be accommodated if the schedule calls for meet-ups in major harbours every 3-4 days or once a week. I imagine there are lots of nice small places where the whole fleet wouldn't find room (especially with my floating tennis court!)

Just a thought. I could always skip a few places that didn't suit my boat and meet up with the rest of you a few days later.

I presume you are thinking of this as a cruise in company rather than a real rally with pre-booked berths and organised events. The latter could land you with insurance issues, especially if it involved collecting money for things.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Talulah is offline Registered User

In the planning don't forget it's a Fastnet year. Starts 14th August. Hence QAB Plymouth is out.

I sailed to SW Ireland a couple of years ago. Fantastic cruising, beautiful secluded anchorages, friendly and welcoming and free to anchor everywhere. The only drawback was that what you saved on free anchoring you paid out when you stepped ashore. The prices were something like Oslo or Tokyo. 35 euros for a bottle of ordinary Bushmills! Didn't put us off though and I'll be back.