Default which 3 stage Voltage Regulator will work

I have Beneteua 42CC 2005 modle with the 80 amp Hitachi alternator..i want to install a 3 stage volteage regulator and have seen many options but not sure how hard they are to install and which is the better ones.. have seen them from Balmar and Xantex... and others but these are the main ones..
    Anyone with experience with any of them with information on how to install by a novice electrician (ME)..

thanks
    Bill
    S/V Goldens@Sea

Default Old hand

I have installed the Balmar 612 (12V) on a number of yachts, including our own. They are one of th best available with a multitude of programming options for the advanced operator or simple programming for the novice.

To connect to an alternator is another problem. To fit this up well one of the brushes must be earthed with the other insulated and connected to the alternator terminal of the regulator. A relatively simple task especially for an auto elec.

The rest of the witing is a matter of connecting dots.

Best of luck.

Tony

pvb is offline Registered User

The easiest solution for a "novice electrician" might be to use a http://www.sterling-power.com/products-altbatt.htm. This is simple to fit, needs no alterations to the alternator, and provides enhanced charging efficiency.

masterofnone is offline Registered User

Default Stirling charger

Excuse me, it requires you to ascertain if pos or neg ground, solder wire onto other set of brushes, then wire it up. Doesn't seem to work too well with a split charge relay in the mix as well.

pvb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Excuse me, it requires you to ascertain if pos or neg ground, solder wire onto other set of brushes, then wire it up. Doesn't seem to work too well with a split charge relay in the mix as well.
    If you were replying to my post, you're completely wrong.

stevebirch2002 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    Sorry mate, yer wrong!

The Sterling Alternator to Battery Charger is not just a standard Alternator Regulator.

They are a great piece of kit and we install 100s in very adverse climates.

It is not just an alternator regulator - read more and compare. Link in previous post

Steve B
    Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

http://www.albinvega.co.uk