Default Eberspacher D4 glow plug tool

I need to remove the glow plug and screen from a D4 Eber-doesn't-splutter and don't have the special tool. It looks from a pic of it as though it's just a box spanner with a slot cut up the side to clear the wire. Can anyone tell me the spanner and slot size please so I can make one before going to the boat?

Alternatively has anyone in Brighton/Lewes got one to lend/sell please? (Local agent not very helpful.)

Thanks!

If you buy a new glow pin then you will (or should) receive the special slotted socket with it. From memory it is 12mm - but don't cut a groove out of a basic box spanner (like you'd get for an outboard spark plug because it weakens it too much.

If you search my previous posts you should find one with a picture of the long socket that I ground a slot in. It looks similar to the one supplied with a new glow pin.

Here is the previous thread with pictures of the modified deep socket (next to the one that came with the new plug!).

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239253

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_J View Post
    If you buy a new glow pin then you will (or should) receive the special slotted socket with it. From memory it is 12mm - but don't cut a groove out of a basic box spanner (like you'd get for an outboard spark plug because it weakens it too much.

If you search my previous posts you should find one with a picture of the long socket that I ground a slot in. It looks similar to the one supplied with a new glow pin.
    Thank you. According to our local agent you no longer get a free spanner with the 70 plug. The spanner is about 7 extra. In any case the first objective is to get the screen out to clean it. (I will check the plug resistance/continuity.)

I was going to use a long tubular pressed steel one like the pic you've posted of the Eber one. I guess what you saying is that a short one slotted all the way up won't work? If it really needs a good quality long socket like the one you modified then the bloke it's for can buy one, i'm not destroying my set of them!

I found that a standard 12mm socket with a slot cut in it was fine too. Tight on clearance but OK. (I'd ordered a deep one but it didn't show up in time).

P.S. my tip for extracting the screen is to put a turn of insulating tape around the tip of the insertion tool to make it a tight fit inside the screen. Push it in with a turning motion, keep rotating and screw the old screen back out in one piece.