Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mike james View Post
    Did you pay for the replacement filter tops?
    In a nutshell - yes :-(

Default Volvo Seawater Filter

Decided to take the advice offered and the new seawater filter cover etc. is being fitted tomorrow.
    Now I know of the problem I will never feel safe until it is fixed.
    The Volvo agent says the reason he is writing to all his customers with D4/6 is that some customers who have suffered a ruined engine suggested that as he had serviced the engine he was responsible if the filter cover leaked/ fell off as he had not replaced it correctly.
    His view was that the filter cover flexes under pressure.
    He too is sure it is a design fault but says Volvo are sticking it out and they say that all problems are due to incorrect replacement of the top.
    He had a couple of boats outside his office who have had their engines flooded and knows of many more.
    It does seem to me that Volvo have turned a fault acknowledged by their Service Agents but disputed by Volvo into a profit making system for themselves.

Decided to take the advice offered and the new seawater filter cover etc. is being fitted tomorrow.
    Now I know of the problem I will never feel safe until it is fixed.
    The Volvo agent says the reason he is writing to all his customers with D4/6 is that some customers who have suffered a ruined engine suggested that as he had serviced the engine he was responsible if the filter cover leaked/ fell off as he had not replaced it correctly.
    His view was that the filter cover flexes under pressure.
    He too is sure it is a design fault but says Volvo are sticking it out and they say that all problems are due to incorrect replacement of the top.
    He had a couple of boats outside his office who have had their engines flooded and knows of many more.
    It does seem to me that Volvo have turned a fault acknowledged by their Service Agents but disputed by Volvo into a profit making system for themselves.
    Quite right Mike id thoroughly agree, when I read the advert in a well known vp dealer near to portsmouth I just though all it was about was to increase there turnover and fit the lid at the customers costs in order to safeguard any further claims and embarassment to vp and the dealers. when as ive said in earlier posts that it can be done on a service at relatively no cost to the dealer whasoever. How can anyone screw a lid back on wrong, even stevie wonder could do it right and have no leaks after!

Paul

in your humble opinion, what is the 'bad design' that causes the lids to leak ? I assume from you username that you work for Volvo ? What makes you think that I would be able to challenge VP to make my engine good at their cost when the error was clearly mine ?

If you're ever up my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to show you exactly how they can be cross threaded.

Regards

Stevie Wonder.

Default Sea water filter

Firstly, i have fitted the new sea water filter covers and it was easy. So don't pay for some one else to do it. Took me 30 minutes but now I know what to do I can do it in 15. Bit fiddly but really easy. My boat is 2004 and I an far from a DIY dude.

Who do i need to contact about trying to get my money back from. I know it's Volvo but would it be a dealer or a head office. Does anyone have an email or contact details.

Thx

gingie Guest

Release the 3 12mm bolts from the strainer. Remove the old lid and o-ring. Fit new o-ring.
    FIt the clamp around the housing and fit the new lid so it all lines up. Pull the new lid up to the flat edge so it seats square and do up the 5mm allen bolt and 10mm nut.

Did 2 today on D6 IPS units 30 mins for both

Quote Originally Posted by terranova View Post
    Paul

in your humble opinion, what is the 'bad design' that causes the lids to leak ? I assume from you username that you work for Volvo ? What makes you think that I would be able to challenge VP to make my engine good at their cost when the error was clearly mine ?

If you're ever up my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to show you exactly how they can be cross threaded.

Regards

Stevie Wonder.
    Hi no I dont work for volvo, I work for myself and have done since 1990, I work mainly on volvo engined boats and have in the past subcontracted for volvo dealers.

I dont think you would get any help from volvo as you have admitted cross threading the lid, id have kept quiet about that and tried a warranty claim as there is clearly a design fault with the strainer, maybe the poor design caused you to cross thread it.

When you say up my area where are exactly are you, send me a pm if you like.

I have been written to by the local Volvo Service Agent concerning a replacement sea water filter top for my 3 year old Volvo D4 .
    The offer says "some problems have occurred with old type tops"
    It is now a transparent cover to enable visual inspection of the filter.
    The cost is 127.48 plus Labour plus VAT
    Anyone else been offered this and is it worth changing?
    Is there a problem with the original?
    Just to say this is still an ongoing issue. We recently (11th March 2012) on our own Boat experienced the same fault during a 143 mile voyage crossing the Med. to Mallorca. Read my blog for the full story at http://volvoseastrainerlids.blogspot.com/