Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenders

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Default Fenders

Dear Motor Boaters

Could you enlighten a baffled sailing type about why so many motor boats have their fenders dangling out all the time? I've just spent a couple of days in Great Yarmouth and Oulton - for work - and noticed that every single modern motor boat I saw was festooned with fenders. A couple of very pretty classic motor boats, and all the sailing boats I saw, were fenderless.

I've even noticed it in pictures and avatars here - smart and very expensive looking boats with blue (always blue) bobbles all the way round, even when well out at sea.

Is it aesthetics? Lack of stowage space? I'm truly confused.

Yours

Confused.

sarabande is offline Registered User

an old quatrain from PBO. Author unknown.

Dingle, dangle, dong.
    I wonder what's gone wrong.
    Is it fear of a collision
    That keeps them in position ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

I wonder if it's canal etiquette? Canal boats are constantly going thro locks, bridges & stop gates that are only a few inches wider than the boats are so thin fenders are left permanently in place.

The other possibility is that MoBos only move off their pontoons for fuel or the odd picnic & it is too short a time period to bother stowing them. I must admit most round our way seem to stow them away after a mile or three out of the marina.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

GrahamHR is offline Registered User

It's because they don't know the fabled Col Regs, so don't know from which direction and when a saily type thing will unpredictably and completely without logic drive towards them, even in narrow channels Saily type things/ racing saily things/ saily chaps clearly have "right of way" at all times. over powered craft, even if the powered craft are at anchor or drifting, angling ( NOT the same as fishing!).

Graham

PS I remove my fenders ASAP after leaving the berth!

Philiz is offline Registered User

Don't know, ours get pulled in and put on the walkround as soon as we leave the marina. We don't stow them away though, can't be bothered to untie them and we'd struggle to find space for them all. Ours are white by the way.
    Some mobos are a bit tricky to walk round the foredeck so that might explain why some leave them out.
    I'm sure I've seen a fair amount of raggies with fenders permanently over the side though!
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

I've always presumed that leaving ones fenders dangling was the equivalent of having L plates on a car!

Mymobo is offline Registered User

Once we leave our berth we have to go through a sea lock. Once clear of the sea lock all fenders are raised but not stowed as we don't have space also hassle to untie them. We have White only.
    Life is short spend it on a boat

use quick release clip's and you dont have to untie them....

Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeekian View Post
    Dear Motor Boaters

Could you enlighten a baffled sailing type about why so many motor boats have their fenders dangling out all the time? I've just spent a couple of days in Great Yarmouth and Oulton - for work - and noticed that every single modern motor boat I saw was festooned with fenders. A couple of very pretty classic motor boats, and all the sailing boats I saw, were fenderless.

I've even noticed it in pictures and avatars here - smart and very expensive looking boats with blue (always blue) bobbles all the way round, even when well out at sea.

Is it aesthetics? Lack of stowage space? I'm truly confused.

Yours

Confused.
    I added 3 sets of clips to ours, high, medium and up.
    They seldom find their way back to the fender basket these days
    Well for us it started off when we just popped round to the fuel berth and I told swmbo to leave them.
    Then just popped to Easthead and just left them.
    Then just popped across to Bembridge and just left them
    Then as we set off for CI one day swmbo just left them, I didnt notice until Bembridge and sort of thought well we will only see one or two boats from 1/4 mile off so it doesnt really matter...........and just left them

I pay equal respect to flag etiquette

On the canals everyone leaves their fenders hanging. I passed a boat the other day that had 22 blue fenders dangling. It's clearly a canal culture thing. I've adopted the practice myself, but when I re-convert the boat to a sail boat I'll stop doing it.

At sea I've noticed the dangling fender syndrome is almost exclusive to motor boats - you very rarely see it with sail boats. In mitigation of this lazy and untidy practice (and I speak, although temporarily, as a motor boater myself) I would point out that many motor boats, and narrowboats, have such hazardous deck designs - narrow side decks, bulbous convex shapes, inadequate non-slip - that going forward once underway can be quite daunting. Sending the missus forward to untie and stow fenders under these circumstances would be a worry.