jaba is offline Registered User

Default Greek (saronic gulf) berth question

Hi all,
    Being september ;-) I am planning next year Greek cruise. The idea is to visit the Cyclades, but to get there from where I come from (northern Adriatic) I need seomewhere to leave the boat between the transfer leg and the proper holiday. In short, I need advice on where to, safely if not cheaply, leave the boat alone in the water for a couple of weeks in july, booking in advance to be sure that once I get there I have the berth.
    I have been to zea (very difficult to book until last moment, though), Kalamata (far from the cyclades and downwind, moreover some piers are less than ideal in a southerly), and I have enquired in the past with Lavrion (they want to see the bow of your boat before committing, which is unpractical if you have to fly back on a specific date), and with Porto Kheli (wasn't thrilled by the German Lady who answered my call). methana is out of the question ( full and too shallow anyhow).
    Any suggestion? Poros, maybe?
    Many thanks
    J.
    Last edited by jaba; 19-09-10 at 17:16.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Some buoys in Poros. bobt knows the contact I think. Don't even think of using the quays there.

Don't give up on Porto Heli - the moorings are fine.

Koiladia - moorings.

Otherwise it is whichever marina along the Athens coast line you can get into. Zea is certainly the most expensive - perhaps excepting Olympic (just south of Lavrion, but very accessible for the airport).

Kalamata is fine, usually has plenty of space in July on sheltered quays. It works for a one month trip to the Dodecanese and back. You use the regular southerlies along the E Peloponese coast to make good some northing before going thru the Cyclades. Other alternatives are Patras (not very user friendly). Once in the Cyclades parking in Syros (Ermoupolis unfinished marina) is a cheap option!
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Our experience of the last couple of years:
    Lavrion will allow you to berth when the charter fleets are out. Once they return, on a Friday in our case, we were chucked out. There were no other berths in the port.
    Olympic were completely full, no berths available.
    Poros is well sheltered and there seem to be vacant buoys and berths with lazy lines on the south side when we have been there, but July may be a big problem. As JimB suggests try Bobt.
    Porto Heli moorings are very secure, boats over-winter on them.
    Kilada is a very safe anchorage and there are several people who will provide guardiennage (conscientiously, in the case I know). E-mail the yard at bashipyard@ermionida.info and I think they will put you in touch.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

rtboss1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    Hi all,
    Being september ;-) I am planning next year Greek cruise. The idea is to visit the Cyclades, but to get there from where I come from (northern Adriatic) I need seomewhere to leave the boat between the transfer leg and the proper holiday. In short, I need advice on where to, safely if not cheaply, leave the boat alone in the water for a couple of weeks in july, booking in advance to be sure that once I get there I have the berth.
    I have been to zea (very difficult to book until last moment, though), Kalamata (far from the cyclades and downwind, moreover some piers are less than ideal in a southerly), and I have enquired in the past with Lavrion (they want to see the bow of your boat before committing, which is unpractical if you have to fly back on a specific date), and with Porto Kheli (wasn't thrilled by the German Lady who answered my call). methana is out of the question ( full and too shallow anyhow).
    Any suggestion? Poros, maybe?
    Many thanks
    J.

Hi
    I have a friend that may be able to help you, would be better contacting me March of next year. I think for a couple of weeks not a big problem. To soon to say yes now though.

I will not be back in Poros untill end of October .

Jim, vyv, thanks a lot for the advice & contacts.

Bobt, I will definitely contact you in March.
    fair winds everybody
    J
    (and now... wintering ;-))

PLEIAS is offline Registered User

Hi jaba,
    As i know the people that own the business in Portoheli and i'm their customer as well,i took the liberty of forwarding your thread to them and the matter you are refering (german lady) will be investigated.Thanks.
    A ship is safe in the harbour but that's not what ships are built for...

Thanks Pleias.
    Happened early last spring. The lady who answered the phone seemed less than keen to have me there (not that I don't understand her ;-))
    I wished to book a mooring for a month in summer and I offered to pay in advance but I needed to be able to retrieve the boat on a Saturday not to loose an entire w-e of holiday. "No way and anyhow we're full", if I remember correctly, was the answer.

Best
    j
    Last edited by jaba; 30-09-10 at 13:08.

We may be able to offer you a berth in Aegina for a few weeks. Send me an email with more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    We may be able to offer you a berth in Aegina for a few weeks. Send me an email with more details.
    Thks Melody,
    PM'd you
    j.