Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starley Sundowner

I recently became the owner of one of these little boats and am wondering if there's anyone out there who knows much about them?????? I know that they were built in Shepperton around the end of the 70's/early 80's but not too much more. In particular, I'd like to hear from any owners or previous owners who might be around.

Google provides a few piccies of these unusual little boats!

I always likes Canoe sterns, and although not the prettiest thing above the hull, looks like a practical vessel.
    12hp inboard apparently offers 7 knots, sounds economical and with a wider beam than most small shetlands, looks quite comfy too!
    Fifty Shades of Bray: Don't laugh, your Wife is probably on board...

Doolittle is offline Registered User

There was a local member of clergy who owned one, and he would dash from the end of the 9am service in Laleham to the 11am family service at St Peters in Staines in his Starley. Those that know the distance involved, and the fact there is a lock in the way, may appreciate the speed he had to go!

There is another Starley just below Penton lock on Surrey side called 'Alert'. This chap virtually rebuilt his to such a high standard it featured in the MBM mag. If you can find him I'm sure he'll be a most credible source of info.

... we were only admiring Alert on Sunday, and wondering about her background

We'd seen her before but for some reason paid more attention this time.

I remember looking over the Starley at the Boat show as a kid when it came out, still got the brochure and MBY report somewhere I'll dig it out if your interested.

Thought it was great at the time, exceptional fuel economy and very seaworthy for a 22footer, it was also avaliable with a mast, sails and bilge keels.

I think the moulds were later sold and it became a Pelican 21 which was the fictious boat built by Jack Rolfe in Howards Way.
    Last edited by Chris_d; 23-09-10 at 10:46.

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

>>>
    Thought it was great at the time, exceptional fuel economy and very seaworthy for a 22footer, it was also avaliable with a mast, sails and bilge keels.
    >>>
    Makes it sound like someone was trying a reprise of the Albin on a slighly shorter hull. I always though Sundowner a rather wonderful name for a boat.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

boatone is offline Registered User

The lockkeeper at Thames Lock on the Wey had one for several years and kept it kust above the lock there:
    Last edited by boatone; 07-01-11 at 18:10.
    Care about MotorBoating on the Thames? - www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    The lockkeeper at Thames Lock on the Wey had one for several years and kept it just above the lock there:
    Ah, yes - so he did - now you remind me. I always thought it was a strange looking boat for a motor. Seeing now, that it was designed with two uses in mind, it all makes sense.

He always said it was a bit too small for him (he was a big lad), and he sold it later for something larger.

I remember our days on the Wey with some affection; much easier for us to get to Pyrford for a potter or "maintenance" sessions, and the marina was a friendly place.

Sadly the Cooks messed around and sold it to the "trailer park people", the Thames Lock keeper lost his privacy (new flats overlooking his garden), Vince Locatelli retired and we moved on.

The Wey - apart from the heavy locks, is very pleasant, but not at all suitable for larger boats. The National Trust are keener on growing lesser spotted bladderwort in the margin than the Navigation.

Thanks for the memory..

Thanks to all for your responses. Renovation is now underway and I'm quite pleased so far. The Sundowner is a very interesting little boat and the design is still attractive even by today's standards. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!!

Smile Starley Sundowner - Alert

Thanks for the kind comments regarding Alert.
    I bought Alert a few years ago from Thames Boat Sales at Penton Hook Marina. She was obviously a loved boat at some time in her life but had unfortunately been left for a while so was looking a little sorry for herself.
    The first task was to lift her out of the water and to replace all the woodwork under the waterline, Rubbing strips on the keel and bilge keels.
    The boat had suffered badly from water ingres and the cause was traced to the rubbing strake which whilst quite new looking was letting water in so the strake was replaced. The hull was polished, antifoul stripped and re-applied and new names applied. The next set of tasks was the interior, the cockpit woodwork had rotted so I replaced it all with teak and the interior was in a sad way due to the previous water ingres. I replaced all the upholstery and the cabin lining (not a job I would like to do again) since then a whole range of tasks have been completed, including chartplotter, VHF, engine service, new cooker and gas system and more recently the replacement of the decking with DEK-KING simulated teak decks from Wilks, I also had all the cockpit flooring replaced with the same. I have really enjoyed working on Alert and each month I try and improve it in some way. I am currently mid way through replacing the fuel tank, it srang aleak after a trip to Goring so I have had a new tank made by TEK TANKS in Upper Froyle which I will have professionally fitted shortly.

The engine is a Petter AC2W which uses a very small amount of diesel each year.

The boats were built at Walton on Thames next to the bridge (what is now Bridge Marine)

I think they are great little boats with great accmodation for a 21footer.

I hope you enyoy yours as much as I have mine.

Best Wishes
    Rob.